lights on in the tractor and the coop???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by juice, Nov 25, 2008.

1. juice

juice Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    hastings
    Hi all, We have just started getting eggs from our ladies and I have the lights on a timer.
    Up until now, I have had the coop lights on,which is attach to the chicken tractor and the tractor lights on too.
    However, I want to start having the coop lights timed to come on at 5am and turn off at 9am...but have the tractor light take over from 9am until eveing...do you think the darker coop(which is still lightly lit up from the tractor light) will jazz up the ladies egg production?? I just was thinking that maybe they would prefer a little darker coop to rest in during the day???thanks..joyce

2. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
  3. juice

juice Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    hastings
    oh my that is cute LOL...I wish I was that creative [​IMG]
    No, I meant 'egg laying' lights. thanks anyways...joyce

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That should work just fine. 14 hours of daylight is optimum for great laying, so maybe do the math and start earlier than 5am. For us a 2am turn on time works best. Good Luck!

bigzio

5. juice

juice Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    hastings
    Ok thanks, I'll reset the light s to come on earlier in the coop. But forgive me for not quite understanding something .Do the lights have to be directly overhead/on the hens to work, or can they do the job,of stimulating egg prod. if the lights are in the next space,like the attached tractor?thanks for your help.joyce

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Joyce, I don't know for sure but the greatest importance of lights may just be getting the birds down off the roost. In other words, sitting around in the dark, cold, on a board, for 14 - 16 - 18 hours a day, isn't going to add anything to a bird's joie de vivre. . . . talk about your "Seasonal Affective Disorder!"

Some folks use curtains on their nests so that the hen enters and lays in a dark box. There are a couple of reasons why nests like that might be a good idea.

So, if the light is such that the hens can see well enuf to get into their nests. That may be all that's necessary for that daily activity.

Steve

7. juice

juice Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    hastings
    sounds great...thank you so much for the input...Joyce

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Nope, keep in mind as long as the the flock has the ability to see the light, they are going to be stimulated, and will lay... It really doesn't take alot of light to get er done.

Hands on learning is the best approach. [​IMG]

It will vary with breeds, however most pullets will lay for the for first year, as long as they have fresh feed and water....something some folks take for granted....however, it is essencial for a healthy flock to make sure that fresh feed and water is avaiable at at all times.

Chickens don't drink alot at one time, but they do drink often, and need it avaiable at all times!

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by