1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lights out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bald Rooster, Oct 21, 2016.

1. bald Rooster

bald Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    I have 24 RIR there about 5 1/2 weeks old. they are in a 6 foot by 10 foot coop now.
    about 2 weeks ago I changed my heat light from a bright lite that allowed them to eat and drink 24 hours a day for a red one.
    Well Being a worried Rooster I put a small gallon water and a tray feeder close enough to the red light for them to feed.
    (I know from reading post here I should weed them off the heat)
    Should I turn out the lights and let them roost with out food at this age?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I brood using heating pads. My chicks only get light from the window. They have a normal day/night cycle from the start. They don't eat or drink after sundown. And they do just fine. They are fully feathered and ready to go outside by 4 weeks old.
    My broody raised chicks also don't have 24 hour access to food and water, and they do well also.

1 person likes this.
  3. bald Rooster

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    I have 6 laying hens and one Rose comb Rir all about 6 months old how long should I wait to try and mix them? there coops are only separated by wire and once in a while a hen pecks a lill one through it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you have ample space, and multiple food and water stations, go ahead and make some chick sized 'doors' in the wire separating them. This gives them a chance to mingle, and the chicks have a safe getaway zone.

1 person likes this.
  5. bald Rooster

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    3 days now Ive been putting all 24 lill chickens with the 7- 6 month olds for a couple hours in the run and main coop.
    There is so many young ones the big ones just gave up LOL! Happy chickens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by