Lights

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kcschickies, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    I have some couple week old chicks. The heat lamp is off of them, but when should I take the normal light off? They are of varying ages and our house stays warm, but when is it ok for the light to stay off all night.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd give priority to the youngest chicks, in terms of needing heat. I tend to begin turning off the heat source, during the day at around 5 days, and then gradually turn the heat source on increasingly later in the evening. By day 10 I turn off the heat completely. You could also try increasing the distance between the heat source and chicks gradually.

Observing your chicks is likely the best way to go. If they huddle together and chirp, then they are too cold. Similarly, if they avoid the heat source (i.e. get as far away as possible) then they are too warm. Since they are in your house, observing them should not be too much hassle.

3. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Not heat, just light in general. I have another light that I'm not sure how long I should leave on for them.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Chicks do not need light on a night time (quite the opposite, in fact). I use a brooder plate, and they do not have light at any time, once darkness falls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by