Lights??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TexasJ, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    Quick question or survey..... Ok I don't have a timer so my light stays on all night is this ok or should it be turned off??
    It is a 40w red bulb in a 4x6 coop about 5' high [​IMG]
    Btw I have 6 pullets and 1 hen
    Thanks for helping:)

2. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    From the mess of droppings they leave I can tell that my girls get no rest at all when the light stays on. With the light off they each have one pile beneath each of them in the morning which tells me they slept in place all night. I have stopped using a heat light because they seem more stressed by the light than content at the weak heat it barely puts out.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Definitely turn it off at night. All animals--even people--require a dark period for good health. When you have lights on all the time, even red ones, you're inviting pecking and other stress reactions.

Also, why do you have a red light on all the time? I could see having a white light come on around 4am to supplement light for winter laying, but why the red one?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    @walkingonsunshine 
    Also, why do you have a red light on all the time? I could see having a white light come on around 4am to supplement light for winter laying, but why the red one?
    [/quote]

The red light is easier on their eyes for sleeping and also if any of the have a cut or scratch they won't peck each other. Chickens will peck if they see blood. The light has been on a lot because of the cold it's been 18-28 here at night. Light also helps ward if predators. I do agree it needs to go off at sometime just don't want cold birds. The two smallest birds don't sleep next to the others but they all sleep on the roost. I guess ill move light to outside if coop to keep predators away and put the inside light on a timer.Thanks for the info

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The red light is easier on their eyes for sleeping and also if any of the have a cut or scratch they won't peck each other. Chickens will peck if they see blood. The light has been on a lot because of the cold it's been 18-28 here at night. Light also helps ward if predators. I do agree it needs to go off at sometime just don't want cold birds. The two smallest birds don't sleep next to the others but they all sleep on the roost. I guess ill move light to outside if coop to keep predators away and put the inside light on a timer.Thanks for the info[/QUOTE]

You're right, red is better than white light. But it's still light, and can still cause stress and pecking. Animals need true dark. Also, 18-28 at night (I'm assuming Fahrenheit) isn't very cold, so that might be why your birds aren't snuggling up. Mine don't really snuggle until it hits the single digits at night.

7. TexasJ

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    They do snuggle up but the to small ones stay close to each other and the bigger pullets stay together and the small ones stay closest to the light 4got to mention I just got them about a week or so ago and the lady had them all with heat lamps so I'm not sure if they adjusted to the cold either(when is cold out like to day even though its only about 27 they come out for awhile and go right back in on nice days there all over the run and only go in for water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by