1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lightweight nesting box ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MoonAngel12, Jul 4, 2011.

1. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    DH and I are in the process of building a hoop house for our chickens - so far so good! I need to figure out what to do for nesting boxes though. Our current coop has some metal ones (10 openings total so it's big) that we repurposed from his great grandmas old chicken house from many many years ago. I want the hoop house to be fairly portable so I need to make them as light weight as possible. I found this idea for using plastic tubs so I figured I could rest them on a couple boards and it should be light enough. I also saw a couple using milk crates (not sure where to get any though)... any other thoughts or ideas? We'll have about 10 hens - 2 RIR, 3 BSL (current ones) and 5 GC (should be getting those soon from a friend who raised them for me).

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    the light weight 5 gallon paint buckets work really really well too, and are easy to put up and clean.

3. MoonAngel12

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:That's an option, too! I guess I would just need to put a small ledge in the front to keep the bedding in, right?

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:That's an option, too! I guess I would just need to put a small ledge in the front to keep the bedding in, right?

Just get a lid...cut it in Half and then you have a lip for 2 Nesting boxes (made from 1 lid !!!

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

How about plastic stackable recycling bins. Easy to clean and lightweight, probably so light they would have to be secured to prevent tipping over

6. MoonAngel12

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC

Just get a lid...cut it in Half and then you have a lip for 2 Nesting boxes (made from 1 lid !!!

Duh! That would be an obvious solution [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks!

7. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    I have used an old plastic cat carrier. If you take the front door off it and take all the clips out holding the two halves together you actually get 2 nesting boxes which are light weight, high sided with a lower scooped out front bit for the hens to get in and out easily. Also another item I have used is a cat litter tray that is made to fit in a corner so the base of it is triangular in shape. This is their favourite [​IMG]

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I built a nest box with 3 divider, but my chickens begin to sleep on top rim. I end up got card board box that look like nest box from Costco and leave on the floor. The box work very well and easy replace. The chickens no long able sleep on top because the box isn't strong enough.

9. FarmKat

FarmKat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Quote:Love this idea!!! [​IMG]

10. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    I have 5 gallon totes with a hold cut into them for my layers when they are old enough to lay..maybe you can use that idea.. i got mine for 4 bucks each and handy with the lid on top for stacking too..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by