Like a duck to water...NOT

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by patnjess, May 20, 2010.

1. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    So I have put my ducklings in my front koi pond a couple of times, its really warm, like bathwater!
    And they hate it! they freak and jump out. Sigh....

2. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    LOL. Our Pekins and some of our mixed ducklings did that when I first introduced them to water. It was so funny. Now you can't keep them away.

3. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    at first they'll do that put after u putting them in a couple times they will love it you won't be able to get them out of it!

4. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    They are probably afraid of the koi. I think they have an instinctual fear of snapping turtles and other duckling eating water creatures (whether the pond is completely empty or not). Probably if YOU get in there with them . . . [​IMG]

5. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    My ducks are 7 weeks old and still HATE the water. I have a pond in my front yard that they won't even go near.

My cousin (who lives 1/4 mile from me) has the siblings to my ducks and two mallards. His ducks LOVE water more than anything else. He came up with the idea "monkey see, monkey do." We had a duck play date! My two followed his into the creek no problem and stayed in for nearly an hour. But, they still won't go near the pond at my house. Hum...

6. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Is the pond dark? Can they see the bottom? Is it easy to get in and out of?

My ducks didn't like getting in water if the pond was too deep or dark at first. They still don't like the bigger kiddie pool. They prefer the small baby pond that has steps to get in and out of. They didn't like the ramp.

7. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Is the pond dark? Yes. Is it deep and can they see the bottom? No.

I guess they could be intimidated by it. I thought about it but when I had Muscovies, they had no problem getting in the water.

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:I first tried putting our newest ducklings in a clear paint tray, so they definitely could see the bottom and the could easily get out of it. This they were afraid of. Then I tried a clear plastic Sterlite container that was bigger, but they could still see. They jumped right out of it. What they didn't mind and quite enjoyed was a black trough. This the loved to dive in. [​IMG] Seems they just have to make up their own minds on what they like in their own time.

9. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My ducks hate their kiddie pool, go figure... The won't go anywhere near it unless i tempt them with treats... Only some will go in, while the sticklers will stand on the edge to get the treats... stinker ducks... lol. Now, if it's a lukewarm bath in the tub, they all jump in!

10. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    the pond is clear and nice, and easy to get in and out. They went in for the first time for a few, and the 14 inch koi nibbled on ones foot, and sent them reeling. Do you think they are afraid of the fish. As for me getting in there, well now, that would just scare everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by