like a sportsman hatching box? questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I was wondering... Sportsmans have a hatching box in the bottom, don't they? so you can keep incubating eggs at different stages and don't have to hatch all at once? How is that designed? I"m trying to figure out something like that for my own cabinet incubator. I actually used for this last hatch sep 2 a broiler pan with a plastic lid, with about 10 holes drilled into it. I had several wet paper towels folded up in the bottom, then put that net-like foam shelf liner over the paper towels. I had had the eggs under a broody, but when I saw how she was crushing them after they had pipped, I decided to try out my "hatching box" broiler pan. It worked FABULOUSLY. The chicks that had pipped under the hen got stuck in their shells, then came out all goopy after I peeled their shells off for them. But the ones that pipped after that came out all silky like they should. I would open the pan after every 2 or 3 hatched and put them in a "dry" box in the incubator and once they were doing well I would put them in the brooding cage. You all can tell me I"m an idiot for doing this, but it's the best hatch I've had in the house for a long while. I've been hatching every week for about 2 months or so.

2. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    My hatcher previously had been my LG.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by