like a whole new world,lol

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bayouchica, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hey yall [​IMG]

Been awhile since I have posted, after my hard drive went out had no computer for a month.Then my freaking monitor screen started shrinking & the control panel was stuck on screen. [​IMG] I just got in a new Dell 22" flat panel, oh my goodness the colors are so sharp.I got it though Dell's website for 139.00 including shipping.Much better than the old 15" dinosaur.

The birds are all doing okay, they just miss the sunshine. it's been cloudy & rainy here for the longest time.My coop is a mess, have to go clean it out this weekend.

I'm hoping early next year I can get some wireless internet out here,sick of this dialup.I've talked to the folks at AT&T, I can buy an antenna to boost our cell signal (called Z-boost) since we barely get one here. I'll have to save some egg money cause it costs 300.00 [​IMG]

We've been laying more water pipe for the garden & I've been starting to dig up our Jerusalem artichokes to hopefully sell some here locally.

My DH & I have been enjoying watching & rooting for our New Orleans Saints [​IMG]

Hope everyone has a blessed holiday out there
    Miriam [​IMG]

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Good to see you post & congrats on the new computer!

We lucked up on our internet access. An ambulance center relocated on the highway just the other side of the bayou where we live. They use high speed access and we found out that our old 60 foot ham radio tower is directly in line with their tower & so we were able to also get high speed wireless internet service.

LOL, we are the ONLY residential customers of the service provider--everybody else is commercial businesses only. But boy do we get service! they 'tweaked' the ambulance people's signal a couple months ago & also came & climbed our tower & did the same thing!
    Well worth the $49 a month, esp since we don't have cable or satellite TV service.

Maybe you can check around & may stumble across something similar? Our old tower was free--we got it years ago when somebody gave up on ham radio, we only had to take it down. It was originally over 100 feet but we only put up 60 & sold the rest of the sections to another ham radio operator.

Enjoy the holidays & Merry Christmas to you! did you get snow a couple weeks ago? it was so pretty!
    Terri

3. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi Terri,

Who do you get your wireless internet service ? At&T wireless is about 60.00 a month.

No,we didn't get any snow to speak of. Yall got more than we did,lol.

Hope yall have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year !!!

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hey bayouchica! I hope all's well with you. Good luck with your internet access, geez, in this day and age.......is it the monsters you have in your yard that the cable people are araid of?????? [​IMG] Hope it all works out for you. [​IMG]

5. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Quote:thanks Luna,
    That's funny & guess there's some truth to it. [​IMG]

Nice to hear from you, Happy Holidays !!!

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi Miriam - so good to see you online and posting. Isn't this non-stop rain just about to drive you nuts? It is me. This summer we had two months of sweltering heat, temps near 100, and not a drop of rain for two months (pond dried up, garden died) then it started raining and it hasn't stopped. It rained every single day for three months. We got a bit of a reprieve but it's been back daily since. My backyard and coop areas are a virtual slip-n-slide - that is if you don't sink first. After the big snow on the 4th it's been non-stop rain and my poor chickens, especially the breeder ones in the pens, are walking in muddy water and slop.

On a nicer note - I'm planning on digging up some of the Jerusalem Artichokes you gave me and serve them at Christmas. I dug up a few at Thanksgiving and they were a big hit. I'm betting you can find a great niche market for them. They are delicious and so versatile and very good for you to boot.

You'll love your new flat panel monitor. We use ours to watch tv shows and movies on line - like on Hulu. We discontinued the huge Direct TV bill since we didn't watch TV that often. We're going to get a tv/audio card for our pc so we can hook the pc up to the giant television but for now the flat screen works beautifully.

John took a look at some of the newest photos you sent of pics from the bayou and said you had a real gift and talent and wondered if you ever submitted them to National Geographic. I'm glad to see your back up and running so maybe you can post some of those great pics here.

Take care.

Monique

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by