Like giving birth to twins at the same time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CartierChicken, Jun 19, 2011.

1. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I found one of my hens, in the nesting box, standing up. She was panting and making straining noises, like she couldn't quite pass the egg. I have never seen her stand while trying to lay and egg. Anyways, I was quite worried about her. She was straining for a good 20 minutes after I got there. Then finally, plop, the egg dropped, and boy was it a whopper. When she was done, it seemed like she was walking a bit slow as it had caused some pain. She was completely red in that region also. This is the hen that lays double yolkers quite often. This time she might have actually made a triple. Needless to say, I tossed out some treats for her. Poor thing.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Alot of my girls stand to pass their eggs-alot of the older ones with the larger eggs. Yes, I have heard them actually breathing hard and making pain noises while trying to push them out too:( I feel sorry for them when they do and I pet them and try to comfort them ( not like anything I do comforts them) but in my mind Im moral support like a birthing coach! [​IMG] I have never gotten a triple yolker though!

3. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    i havent had that happen to me before, but i have read about it. perhaps it might help her next time if you were to place that region of her body in luke warm water, just to soothe it a little bit. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Same here.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Same here.

[​IMG] great minds think alike!!! I almost want to teach them breathing exercises! AS IF!!! [​IMG]

6. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    When I first had chickens I was working on the run and there was a lot of traffic in and out of the coop and of course a lot of bawk, bawk, bawk, BAWK!, bawk. going on. There was a BR in the nest box, and all the other girls would take turns in the coop, singing the song with here as she worked on this egg. I could hear, "breath, breath, breath, PUSH! breathe ahhhhh." Looked and sounded like labor coaching to me. She laid a double yolker that day. Also learned that the f-word must sound like one of their sounds. After dropping the screw for the 500th time I started swearing, and Bebe cocks her head a me and "bawk?" Oh well....

7. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My dear sweetie laid an egg while on her perch. It was a rubber egg. I guess that big hunker of an egg did her in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by