1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Like larb? I do, and I LOVE this recipe!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by JennsPeeps, Jul 28, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I [​IMG] larb. It's a Thai dish made of ground turkey or chicken. Dee-lish-us. Imagine my delight when the most recent Cooking Light magazine had it under their "Super Quick" recipe section this month. EEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Even better, I had all the ingredients except the mint, which my mother has in spades.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1823364

Instead of doing wraps I shredded the cabbage and served it like a salad. I also used scallions instead of red onions. I steamed some jasmine rice and topped that with sweet Thai chili sauce from Trader Joe’s. It was soooo good.

You can serve it cold or room temp. It's very refreshing in hot weather. Today I'm having leftovers for lunch. It's really, REALLY good.

[​IMG]

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I love Cooking Light magazine! Been getting it for years. I've found so many good recipes that have become part of my regular rotation. I had so many clippings that this year I made a binder to keep them all together. I'm definitely going to try this one! Thanks for the recommendation! [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm such a fan of their recipes that we could start a "Cooking Light Review" thread and woudl have at least 10 recipes to review.

Speaking of which, their German Chocolate cake is to DIE for.

4. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I haven't tried that one, but there's a turtle cake that's similar to German chocolate and it's great! What are some of your other faves? Some of mine are:

Peanut Chicken Soba Salad
    Mushroom and Parmigiano Bruschetta
    Seafood Lasagna
    Mango Rice Salad with Grilled Shrimp
    Spicy Peanut Noodles with Shrimp
    Pan-Seared Scallops on Linguine with Tomato-Cream Sauce
    Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions
    Chicken Sate with Peanut Sauce
    Chicken PotPies
    Oven-fried Chicken Thighs with Mustard Sauce
    Fig and Chile-Glazed Pork Tenderloin
    Roasted Chicken with Wild Rice Soup
    Smokey Black Bean and Vegetable Soup
    Fettucine with Bacon and Roasted Red Peppers
    Superfast Salisbury Steak
    Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
    Double-Caramel Turtle Cake
    Old-Fashioned Spice Cake

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    BearSwampChick..Everytime you post and I read it those song lyrics go thru my mind the rest of the day!...Thanks for sharing them, I just love the way it must sound......

Oh...Like your recipes too [​IMG]

6. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:Thank you! SpeckledHen is a fan, too! She sent me a YouTube link with the NinoTemple and April Stevens version. If you don't have dial-up, I could link you to it, if you like. If you don't remember this version, it's an up-tempo beat. I think the Mills Brothers recorded it as a slower, dreamier one. I have the sheet music, but I don't play the piano. That was my sister.

Sorry, Jenn, for getting off-topic!

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Eep! Hijackers!

Totally ok. I'm just sitting here in my office listening to the hummingbird outside. It's making a ton of noise and even peeked in at me through my 3rd floor window.

Will post my fav recipes from Cooking Light later. Need to get some more work done & fewer BYC threads read. [​IMG]

8. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Can't wait to see some of yours! [​IMG]

Too funny, I've got a hummingbird feeder right outside the window where my computer is!

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by