Like mother, like daughter (Lily May, 4 wks old tomorrow)

Hi! Lily will be 8 weeks old tomorrow
smile.png
I can hardly believe it.
She is a fat pup and still nursing (Darby seems to have no inclination to wean her), but finally mobile.

She's been exposed to the chickens since she was just a few days old and interacting with them since she could waddle. I've been taking her in the big pen when I go in to give them treats --- so she learned respect for birds quick.
This evening was her first experience going IN a chicken pen to work with Mom --- rousting youngsters from their hidey-hole under the coop and move them into the coop (Darby helps me with that chore every evening).
Darby actually was moving birds one way and trying to keep Lily off them (snapping at her and that's the first time I've seen her do that).
Lily didn't do anything bad, she just wanted to see where the chickens went and Darb is very protective of HER chickens. Darby takes chicken-tending very seriously.
Hubby says at this age, Lily is too young to really be learning anything, but I disagree.
She knows lots of commands already, she just has such a short attention span. I was tickled this evening when I opened the gate to come out of the chicken pen and said Sit and Wait, and Darb and Lily both sat down (Lily didn't wait, the urge to pee struck but she came right back and sat again).
Thanks for reading my rambling.
We are in 'Puppy-Love'.
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom