Like Smoky73, LOVE my BIG Red Girls!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Dec 23, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

These came from Julie's flock before she quit breeding these lovely RIRs. Here is one of my girls today. Besides the deep color, they are also amazon-women! They are great big girls, almost as large as my Black Orpington girl, Delilah. I have names for them, but still can't tell them apart reliably so I call them all "Cherry", LOL. She's with one of the SLW pullets, Virginia, and my splash Ameraucana, Snow. They are calm, well-behaved girls, very mature-acting compared to some of my more crazy ones.
    [​IMG]

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] I think she is SO ugly that you must send her to me ASAP...I will provide a caring home for her....LOL

[​IMG]

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    She's really pretty, and BIG!!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Beautiful!

Now where are those beauties?

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Cyn, aren't they the friendliest girls! I will have no problem showing them, as they are far less flighty than even my Ameraucanas who are not too bad themselves. I have seriously fallen in love with the RIR's.[​IMG]

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Now that's what a real RIR should look like!

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Cyn,

So when I get around to buying some of those BBS eggs, I would love some Barred Rock eggs and even a couple of Meg's eggs. And a couple form this Rhode Island girl would be awesome also, I don't care who the dad is, she is beautiful.

--Ed

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  8. speckledhen

Quote:You are so right! These are very, very calm and mature-acting. I can pet them on the nests and they allow me to reach under them with no hesitation.

Question: Although RIRs are not known as broody hens, have any of you ever had one of this type RIR go broody?

9. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    that rir is darker than any that i have owned. i guess they sold me production reds.

10. speckledhen

Ed, I've made a note to collect some of Meg's, too. The RIRs are with my two BR roosters, so that would be the cross there.

I originally had three hatchery RIRs, but lost two of those this year, including my head hen, to internal laying, sadly. My remaining RIR, Reba, is still going strong and seems the picture of health. She was my darkest hatchery bird and here is Reba to compare to my big Dark Cherry girls:
    [​IMG]
    ***that's Meg my RIR/Buff Orp cross girl in the background

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by