like to add 2 lambs with my 35 chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rockmaster, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rockmaster

rockmaster Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I have a 10 by 20 chicken shed and would love to add two baby lambs with them. Am I taking a risk? I do have another very small insulated concrete bldg I could place them in, probably should but I would like for all of them to be together. Any advise would be appreciated. Rockmaster:)

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I keep 3 bantams in a 50 by 50 pen with my 2 ND goats. Only thing is they compete for fresh grass or weeds. My goats have never been aggressive with the bantams. They do have separate sheds to go in for roosting and sleeping. Hard to keep the goats out of the chicken feed!!! lol

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Lambs can't eat chicken feed.
    What do you want them for?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Sheep cannot have copper, it's toxic to them, so if your chicken feed has copper do not put them anywhere near it. Other than that chickens and sheep can get along just fine. I have many chickens that roost in by my sheep at night. I like it, I know they are safe around the sheep since my ram hates everything that tries to get by his girls (sometimes including me, little jerk lol). I've even seen the chickens sitting on the backs of the sheep!

5. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Just wanted to add that if you are unsure if your chicken feed has copper in it don't take the risk! Nothing gets by my sheep that I'm unsure of, I'm known to freak out if people try to feed them strange things. You can never be to safe when it comes to copper!

6. as above.....i have seen someone put a small goat feeder (tractor supply..cheap one) for the chicken feed and mount it up high at roost bar level. Have to build a roost bar the length of the trough about 24 inches. As stated above...that is all you really have to worry about. They usually get along real well and I have seen plenty of chickens riding sheep and goats around yard before.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You may be asking for trouble. My sheep are in a separate area from the chickens. The sheep will eat any and everything, including chicken feed if they were to get into it. For that reason, I don't allow the sheep to mingle with the chickens, unless they are grazing in another area of the property and all of the chicken feeders are picked up and out of sight.

8. rockmaster

rockmaster Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I'm concerned with the hay situation/ I remeber the time I was a beginner at raising chickens and found out that they were eating the hay that was in the coop. They were enclosed at the time and there was major problems with bounding. I decided at that time to let them free range,, never had the problem again. I always shovel enough snow so they have grass to eat. I would like to include the lambs with the chickens with precautions. This will be a chancy situation. With the weather very cold I will be raising these bottle fed babies in my canning cellar until I feel their ready for the move. Any comments greatly appreciated. Rockmaster:rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by