Lil' Bit broody?!?! She can't be serious! Can she?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I've been seriously hoping for a broody. I would have bet any of my hens would go broody except Lil'Bit. She's half blind, socially inept, uncoordinated and the runt. She couldn't be right?
She's been sitting all fluffed up on a nest since 10 this morning. She starts growling the minute I set foot in the coop. She's bit me twice today for trying to look under her. Once I walked into the coop with my rooster right behind me and she screamed so loud she scared poor Thor and he turned around and high tailed it out of there!
gig.gif

She was still on the nest when I locked them up at 7:30. Everything says broody, but surely not Lil'Bit right?
If she's still on the nest in the morning, I guess it's time to break out the broody crate.
hmm.png

Sounds like you have yourself a Broody!! If she is there in the morning try setting acouple fake eggs under her, to see if she will set tight! I have a Blue Orp that just went Broody on me the other day so setting eggs under her tomorrow.

What kind is she? I have had Brahmas go Broody alot.

Thanks Tuff!
Lil'Bit is my dark brahma runt. As far as I can tell she's right now sitting on 3 golf balls and 2 of today's eggs. If she's truly broody I was going to give her two more eggs when I move her and her nest to the broody crate tomorrow night.
Should I remove the golf balls when I give her the other eggs? I don't want to overload her with work. She's so small.
Guess I'll be sleeping like this
fl.gif
tonight.
Thanks Ridgerunner for your good luck wishes!
smile.png

Gritsar,
Sounds like you are going to have 2 eggs two days ahead of the others. You need to start all the eggs at the same time or you will not get the late ones to hatch.

Am I reading this wrong?

Quote:
She has two eggs (one hers, one another hens) from today under her. I'm holding out two more eggs from today to put under her tomorrow night. Is that too much of a difference? Assuming that she is truly broody I plan to move her to the broody crate tomorrow night. Would it be better to take the eggs she has now and give her four of tomorrow's eggs?

Last edited:
Quote:
She has two eggs (one hers, one another hens) from today under her. I'm holding out two more eggs from today to put under her tomorrow night. Is that too much of a difference? Assuming that she is truly broody I plan to move her to the broody crate tomorrow night. Would it be better to take the eggs she has now and give her four of tomorrow's eggs?

I'd give her the four new eggs unless you are set up to put the two eggs in a hatcher after the first two hatch. Something else you might try is to remove the first chicks that hatch and hope she stays in the nest long enough to hatch the last two, then give her all four chicks. There wasa thread on here last night about pulling chicks out to keep the hen on the nest. I consider that pretty risky but somebody said they had pulled it off. All this gets complicated. I'd try to keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom