1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lil' Bit is now Lil' Miss Tude

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Feb 26, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My sweet little half blind hen is sweet no more.
    When I let the chooks out this morning and did my inspection of the coop I found Lil' Bit on the nest and she was not happy about me being there. She hissed the whole time.
    I said excuse me and left. [​IMG] Awhile later when I poked my head thru the doorway to see what she was up to, she spotted me and hissed some more.
    When I went in an hour later to change the waterer, she was still on the nest and added angry clucking to her hissing in case I hadn't gotten the message.
    I started thinking broody? [​IMG] but she's off the nest now.
    I guess some girls are serious about needing their privacy, but I would never have guessed it about my sweet little baby. [​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Wow, that is weird. Unless it is a Brahma, I would expect some thing like that from them [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Master S.M.C :

Wow, that is weird. Unless it is a Brahma, I would expect some thing like that from them [​IMG]

Oh yeah, she's a brahma alright. Just tiny and now add the tude. She's been spoiled from day one, but now that she is my roo's favorite, I guess she's decided to be a diva too.​

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I Knew it, do you know why the breed is so standoffish

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Master S.M.C :

I Knew it, do you know why the breed is so standoffish

I've heard that about some brahmas, but mine aren't. They are a very independant type of bird and if they don't see me all day, they're fine. However if I take the time to go and sit out with them while they are free-ranging they all congregate around me; telling me about their days. Jezebel has to jump up on my leg and complain about something. She's always complaining about something. [​IMG]
    What most people remark on when they meet my birds is how calm they are. Nothing bothers them. Just different breeding strains I guess.​

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I think it's more about their upbringing. from day 1 our girls have been exposed to barking dogs, opening garage doors, the car coming into the carport from the alley, garbage cans, cats, loud power tools, garden implements, and more. Nothing phases them. The neighbor's recycling barrel freaked out the BR one day when they were moving it, but since then... nuttin.

7. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Quote:Wow my BR couldn't handle our big old trash bin on wheels. He would run at it like there was no tomorrow. So Funny! Must be a BR roo thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by