1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lil help :-)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by asthrngal89, Mar 11, 2015.

1. asthrngal89

asthrngal89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    I just got these lil boogers today the man said they were aracaunas but thinkin just easter eggers but anywho ive never had babies before and wondering how old they looked to be around and wen they would be able to go out in my chicken tractor , its able to be shut up (the coop part) where they could have heat lamp and all right now tey ae inside in a rubbermaid tote but fearing they most likely will out grow it soon?

2. asthrngal89

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    [​IMG]

3. asthrngal89

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    [​IMG]

4. asthrngal89

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    New babies pictures all help greatly appreciated

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    look like they could be aracaunas, and they look like they could be easter eggers.........not a lot of help, sorry. LOL

see lot's of people will use the terms freely for both. The fact that the eggs are blue, cause them to think 'it lays a blue colored 'easter' egg. The difference is of course, that aracauna is a recognized breed......... while 'easter egger' is generally considered a cross between one of the blue layers and about anything else, but has the blue egg gene and lays blue eggs.

I know, I was one of those who was mistaken and thought that for a long time. As long as you don't care because you're going to get blue eggs, it doesn't matter. To me, it just irks me that someone will take advantage of people by saying they're selling one thing and it's something different. Dishonest is dishonest, doesn't matter what the topic is.........

6. asthrngal89

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    Dont mind the egg color at all its why I wanted them and have heard they were really sweet birds

7. asthrngal89

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    Is it normal to have one that sleeps all the time and doesnt seem too interested in the others I was worried I might lose her so took her out and started painting the cracks of her beak with sugar water she seems to like it alot but just goes right back to the same old thing when I put her back

8. asthrngal89

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    And she doesnt get up much when I give her sugar water either

9. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Based on the photos, it looks like they are 3 to 5 days old. I usually keep chicks in a brooder in the house for 2-3 weeks. You'll probably have to shift to a large cardboard box as they grow over the first week or so. After that, they'd be OK in the outdoor coop, provided you can supply adequate light and heat for them. Beware of heat lamps in coops though, as they pose a substantial fire risk.

1 person likes this.
  10. asthrngal89

Dec 12, 2014
    Kelly, NC
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by