1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Li'l Miss Poopy Pants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lunachick, May 15, 2007.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Well, a moderator told me not to let them sleep in the nestbox or I'll have poopy eggs. So, I'm being really good about this, and every evening at bedtime (for birdies) I plop them on the roost and they stay. I check on them before I hit the sack myself and they're still on the roost. Good! But in the a.m. the nest box was visited by one of them because there is poop in it, alot, so one of them is being sneaky. I know it is just one, because there is a poop pile below the roost. How do I correct this without going out there every hour to roost them? Or is that what I do? I only have the two, ages are about 17/18 wks old. Any advice?

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had 20 pullets that wanted to sleep on the foor and in my nest boxes. I went in every night to place them on the roosts at night. Most of them got the idea after the second day but a couple took a little longer. They eventually got the idea and now they all roost. Just keep placing her up on the roost at night she will figure it out sooner or later. Hopefully sooner then later.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    If it continues, you may have to block them from getting to the nests for a couple of days. You're getting close to the point of them laying so I wouldn't block it for very long.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Do you have golf balls in the nest box? 17/18 weeks is about the time we installed our nest boxes for our first flock and all the girls took great interest in them. I've never had a pullet sleep in the nest boxes that wasn't broody.

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    The nest doesn't have anything in it but shavings, I think they like it cause it's cozy. There is just the two of them and they are inseperable. I think I'll just keep putting them on the roost til they get it. I'm trying not to spoil them too much (yeah, right). Thanks guys - I'll just keep at it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by