Lil Red Chick Palace

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickEngineer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ChickEngineer

ChickEngineer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I had some basic requirements, to fit on the pad available, I could stand up, access from the front side to the coop, access to the coop from inside the run.
    I decided on a 9' X 6'. This gave me six 36" run panels (Novice error, the 9' should have been 9' 5" and all ten panels would have been on 36" centers), one on the end would be used for the run entrance door. Roof height from 7' front to 6 1/2' rear. With only rain to worry about I figured the 6" drop would be enough.
    The bottom frame is 2" X 6" pressure treated as are the 2" X 4" studs.
    This is the first of many loads and the first days of construction.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Day two, finished the studs and some of the rafters.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The pressure of constant supervision through the whole project.
    Day three and four, front and rear face plates.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Used false rafters to support the 4' sheets of 3/8" plywood roof panels.
    Day five and six, plywood sub roof.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Day seven and eight.
    Base for the coop area.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Day nine, the frame for two nest boxes. This frame mounts behind the access door on the front of the coop and had to be easily removable for coop cleaning.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Day ten, two Roost at the rear of the coop, access from the door in the run area.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Later increased the distance between the two roosts.
    Day eleven & twelve.
    Closed in the coop area, built coop doors & run entrance door frame.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Day thirteen and fourteen.
    Painted exterior, coop interior, ramp and door frame. Well actually Roberto painted (I hate to paint).
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Day fifteen and sixteen.
    Putting up the HC. The reason for the 36" centers was to eliminate trimming the HC except around the bottom and top header board. Used a $18.00 electric staple gun from Harbor Freight and 3/8" staples. The best $18.00 I ever spent!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Day seventeen - eighteen.
    Finished inside of the coop, vinyl on the floor and up the wall behind the roost area, hung the run door, installed the ramp and etc.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Finally, move-in day.
    Hung the feeder and water bucket, nine sacks of play sand and some shavings for the coop floor and nest boxes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The ladies moved in without any hesitation. They had closely supervised the project from day one so I guess they were right at home.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    Looks great! How many birds do you have?

This is exactly what we went through this spring when we built ours so I love watching how others do it. We ended up dumping WAY too much into it, like you obviously are- lucky birds!

What we learned about the roosts is the simpler the better- We had a 2x4 but they sit sideways & poop all over it (so we removed it & replaced with 2-3" tree branches). They seem to prefer the branches anyway.

Keep the pics coming- and good luck!

Do you build your own feeders, too? we purchased several from the feed store only to watch YouTube to find several DIY's you can do yourself.

3. ChickEngineer

ChickEngineer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I have four hens.
    Have not put a total to it yet, maybe cause I don't want to know?
    It seemed from the posts that the 2 X 4 with beveled edges was the preferred style. So far it's worked.
    I use a Little Giant feeder that I hang under the coop. I use a stainless steel bucket for water also hung under the coop.
    [​IMG]
    The nest boxes are from the pet store.
    The ladies have been in it for two months, so far working out great.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

VERY well done! [​IMG] Looks great and I'm sure your chicks are very happy in it [​IMG]

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    This looks great! Quite the little palace for your four girls.

6. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Very well done! Congrats, your girls should love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by