Lilac gang and the frog..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duluthralphie, Aug 22, 2014.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

We free range all our chickens, We have about 80 chickens, 10 turkeys and 6 guineas running free.

They have divided themselves into smaller sub groups. I have two coops and each coop has its own gang with a smaller gang.

One of the gangs is about 10 chickens that hang out under my Lilac bush. This morning a frog was in their area. When they found the frog the chase was on. It was so fun to watch, (maybe not for the frog). It is the reason to FR. They chased the frog then each other for 10 minutes.

As I read this it does not sound as entertaining as it was, sorry about that. Believe me it was funny, even my Mother-in-law was laughing, and she has not found anything funny since I married her daughter 42 years ago.

2. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    we have had a lot of rain latley here and the toads and frogs are all over and yes its very entertaining...jeff

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh no, it IS entertaining to those who know ;-) Have seen toads wander into the run and I provide a few to them myself...same thing, game on!

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

We have had rainy humid weather here. Last night during Chicken TV time we had several frog/toad runs occurring. They were all fun for everyone except the toad. There must have been lots of frog/toads yesterday as we had a very weak turn out for treats.

Normally I get over 80 for treats, last night we had less than 20.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by