Lilac Moscovies ?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RAREROO, Jul 27, 2010.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi

Can someone post some pics of Lilac Moscovies and tell me what is the genetics with the color, are they like Blue X Chocolates or what ?

Thanks

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Bump for 'scovies!

3. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Reportedly, birds that are pure for both blue & chocolate ie N/N, ch/ch (ch/-) are lilac, while impure blue = blue fawn ie N/n+, ch/ch (ch/-)

4. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    I have no idea how the genetics work. I'm pretty sure by 'impure blue' you mean heterozygote? If so, that is a blue bird. Double dilution (homozygous) blue is actually silver. In my limited understanding, it works just like blue in other poultry.

I've only ever had one silver here, and accidentally sold it. I've never had a blue fawn, but have had LOTS of lilacs so I'm assuming that blue fawn works some other way. I've been recently researching, and can't find much info. I want to get the 'storey's guide to raising ducks) because I found a thread about how it has like 10 pages dedicated to muscovy color. [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my deceased lilac hen, Clara. I JUST got my new camera yesterday so I should be able to take some good ones of this year's hatch soon. [​IMG]

As a young bird (about 10-11 weeks):

[​IMG]

Clara, early this summer:

[​IMG]

My new lilac barred hen, just because I'm smitten (hen on bottom)

[​IMG]

5. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Yes, impure = heterozygous = N/n+ = blue; pure = homozygous = N/N = silver. "Storey's guide to raising ducks" is the source for the "blue fawn" being heterozygous blue + chocolate ie N/n+, ch/ch (ch/-).

There is another source which suggests that it is lilac which is heterozygous blue + choc, so N/n+, ch/ch (ch), & here http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/varieties.html seems to classify them as one & the same.

6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    If that's how blue fawn works, then I should be getting them regularly. I get blues, blacks, chocolates, and lilacs ALL the time, NEVER any blue fawns. I suppose it could be luck of the draw - but I've had at a bunch hatch out here. Granted, I don't keep 'em all, but I am fairly good at telling them apart at hatch from down color. I am pretty sure blue fawns are darker than Lilacs... at least they are on the muscovy duck central site.

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Caprice_Acres - [​IMG] I think I'm smitten w/your lilac barred hen also! GORGEOUS! The hen next to her is non to shabby either!! Fabulous birds! I'd have a hard time letting go of birds that beautiful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by