Lilac Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by farmerlor, Feb 5, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

So I just got my first look at a lilac turkey and it was love at first sight. Naturally. There's probably like 12 in the whole world so I've GOT to fall in love with the rarest, most expensive bird in the world. Can anyone tell me anything about them? How were they bred? Anyone know anyone who has them? How much do they cost more or less? Temperment? Please, please, please tell me that they're very mean, nasty birds who can't live about sea level.

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
  3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The Lilac's are very striking turkeys. The down side is they don't breed true, the lavendars are also called "self Blue's" and they do breed true.

If you are talking about the person on eggbid that goes by "birdlady" that would be Pam Hogan, they have a website "featherbrained farm" or something close to that you can google it. She is a member on here but doesn't post that much.

farmerlor, If you are interested in the Lav's contact Pam, they are super nice people and have been raising them for years, they have some very nice birds.

Steve in NC

4. rareeggs

rareeggs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    lilacs . mine are very friendly social birds .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  5. rareeggs

rareeggs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. turkey guru

turkey guru Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    lilac is a color not a breed, blue slate is a breed, they breed true , well mine do!! tom!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  7. tailnpaw

tailnpaw New Egg

Aug 7, 2009
    california
    I thought all turkeys were the same breed just varieties.

8. Porterturkeys

Porterturkeys Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Quote:Lilac is a variety as well as slate aka blue slate, and blue slates( BBDd) cannot breed true, not possible, you get three results slate ,self blue and black, you must have self blues aka lavenders( BBDD) if yours are breeding true.

Kevin
    Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

9. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    Quote:Lilac is a variety as well as slate aka blue slate, and blue slates( BBDd) cannot breed true, not possible, you get three results slate ,self blue and black, you must have self blues aka lavenders( BBDD) if yours are breeding true.

Kevin
    Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

Hi Kevin, nice to see you on this forum [​IMG] Now if you'd please answer my last question about the Golden Narri X Mottled Black offspring on your yahoo genetics group, I'd be happy [​IMG]

10. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    also as for lilacs breeding true, it depends on what line they are [​IMG] Porters are a bronze based bird with 2 copies of the slate gene (so they are self blue/lavender) so they will breed true. Sand hill has a version too, its got 1 copy of the red gene if memory serves, so it doesn't breed true.
    Sib

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by