Lil'lost SS pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nanawendy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Sooo I'm in integrating a teen flock and older gals. Not going so well, so per BYC suggestion they are fee ranging in the evening. Yesterday there was a hint of sunlight after raining for several days... Freedom, everyone gets buggies for lunch!!! As dusk approached, I was call out and left the house for about 1 1/2 hours. It was dark when I got home. DH and I went to close up the girls and found one missing. Susie the SS ...17 weeks old, who is incredibly attached to her sister Sarah also a SS. She is very connected to me as well. so we called, looked under bushes and even looked in the horse barn, which they NEVER go in.
    OK now I'm on the verge [​IMG] I had to stop because it was 8:45 and the fam hadn't eaten yet. Which I don't really care but it was family dinner night and I felt obligated to practice what I preach. So dinner was dished up we said a prayer and MY DH included in the prayer to bless Susie, as we have many predator. Just as we finished the prayer I heard a screech owl call to her babies. [​IMG] "ok lets eat" she said. [​IMG] Why did I let them out ? [​IMG] I called out the dinning room window "SUSIE, Where are you???" which echoed through the quite night air. As we ate, I tried to keep the conversation light and positive... didn't work very well. Then I heard a weird noise. MY DS and I looked @ each other and he said he heard it too. I got my head lamp and went to the FRONT door. Looked down the steps and in the flower bed, then next to my ELBOW I felt a flutter. It was SUSIE on my railing. Right there on the front steps. SHE CAME BACK TO ME. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I put this under chicken behavior because these chickens do think, do love and do mind their mommies. She came home. And called to me to come get her. Any later and the owls might have gotten the or skunk or raccoon
    I [​IMG] my [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Sweet story.thank you/
    I had a similar experience this summer...
    The head rooster calling alert and herding the girls into the barn.
    Went out the back door and saw a coyote.threw a fire cracker and scared it off.
    Came back into the house and heard a hen screaming and screaming.everyone else had quieted down.
    I opened the door to find my beloved BO Sweetie..on the porch .She continued to scream until I picked her up.Poor baby was terrified. After a few minutes reassurance.she joined the flock.
    Guess she just had to tell me what happened......[​IMG]

3. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    We (DS) likes the fire cracker idea! Earl the BR roo was crowing in the dark- in the coop, trying to find her. And when I finally did, I brought her to the table to finish eating... My DH promptly got her and took her to the coop. I guess he didn't want another for dinner [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Awww..very cool story. So glad you got her back!! [​IMG]

5. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Me too... Can't decide if I should let them free range tonight??? I did give them a brussel sprout plant that was done. They loved it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by