Lily can sure be hard to love...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thndrdancr, Nov 1, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well I tell you, I WAS warned that my chickens were super fastidious compared to others.
    Raising Lily is like raising a big old bratty kid. I think I hurt her feelings today, told her instead of Lily, I am gonna call her big galoot! She is ornery, too bright, pecks at the poop (YUCK), pecks at me, pecks at EVERYTHING, and pecks HARD mind you, and not only pecks, she grabs hold, twists and pulls. She is NOT able to differientiate skin, fingers, nails, from food, etc, I guess. Not sure cuz you will be standing there and WHAM, ouch! She has THE largest and smelliest poops I have ever seen in a chick. I dread her getting older, good lord, it will be the size of horse poop.
    She wont stay in her box, even tho I let them roam at least 3 hours a day. She somehow THINKS she is not a chicken, but she is very MUCH a chicken. She is such a pig, she jumps on the food bowl at every chance and I dump it.
    Just had to express my frustration this morning, after cleaning up her massive smelly poops, then dumping her food bowl WITH oatmeal already in, but now all over the floor. sigh...I even threatened to give her to NebraskaFarmerguy. You think she listens? [​IMG]

Do you THINK this chicken looks guilty?

[​IMG]

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    No, she does NOT look guilty. she looks misunderstood. I am thinking you might want to go to family counseling before you scar her for life. I mean, afterall, look what happened to Alec Baldwin when he called his daughter names.

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well.........sounds like she sure doesn't fit her name [​IMG] I had one like her...... aren't they fun ! Like you, I can't imagine what damage she will do when older........and the poop [​IMG]

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm sorry, thndrdancr, but I'm sure you must be telling tall tales, because that is the most innocent looking chicken I've ever seen! [​IMG] What a great picture!

5. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Doesnt she tho? Misunderstood, yea, thats it.

Just now, "DANGIT! LILY GET OUT OF THE LIVING ROOM"!, and she runs! She knows! Now she is hiding. I am tempted to go comfort her. [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's a good thing she is so adorable, it sounds like she may have to get by on her looks! [​IMG]

7. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I am really beginning to wonder what her redeeming features are. She is not all that affectionate, she has a BUNCH more bad traits that I havent gone into. I cant put a lid on her box, the last time I did that, she pushed until she got out, came out looking like she had crawled thru a cave for 3 days, scraped her head feathers, etc and feathrs sticking out sideways everywhere. Mom asked me "WHAT did you do to poor Lily?" Why do I get asked that? ME? I am innocent, she did it to herself!
    I do KNOW I could teach her tricks for food, she is the biggest hog and cant wait til I get done with the food. Thus the mess, and its OFTEN. Then she flips the bowl upside down. The water too. This chicken is really trying my patience.
    So, anyone have any good chicken tricks, she learns very fast and she knows her name, and she says its NOT Big Galoot! She really did look offended this morning when I called her that. [​IMG]
    Jill

I am on a rant anyway, my big chickens didnt lay at all yesterday and I think they are beginning a molt, and its gonna be 28 degrees in the morning. What a time to lose feathers! sigh...

8. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    It's the "bad" ones that we love the most! They are the one's we always remember. The same with people. I can't remember the names of a lot of people I went to school with, but the pranksters and ornery ones come to mind so much easier!

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    That picture is just too cute. Not to worry; Lily is the chicken you will always remember, I promise. That's how ornery animals are - they work their way into your heart somehow...
    [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You'll tell stories about her for years to come! What a GREAT pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by