Limberneck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fraoch21, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    We went to our local mart yesterday and bought 6 pairs of ducks. When we got home we realised one of the Bali runners seemed to have no control over her neck. Her neck bobs, well more thrashes, from side to side and because of this she cant walk in a straight line and has trouble going anywhere she wants to go. We think it could be limberneck and we are going to give her some epsom salts but ive read that birds infected normally die within 48 hours, if this is right then we have had her for 24 hours already, can anyone give a positive ID on what she has and how to treat it before its too late?

2. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    We just went out to give her some salts but we think it may be a balance problem, like she swings her head around trying to keep herself balanced but she just constantly falls over. I stood her on hte ground and out my hand around her neck keeping it straight but i could feel the muscles in her neck pushing against my hand trying to swing back and for, so i dont think its limberneck anymore [​IMG]

EDIT; after doing loads on online research im pretty convinced its ataxia, since she is crested aswell. Ive read there are no cures for this but is there anything to make her better? or will we have to put her down?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by