Lime Confusion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PennyM, Oct 4, 2017.

1. PennyM

PennyM Crowing

Apr 17, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    I want to lime whitewash the inside of our new coop and am having a confusing time trying to find what I need. I read where I need hydrating lime or calcium hydroxide NOT dolomitic lime nor calcium carbonate, aka garden lime. Okay, so I go to TSC and can't find what I need. I tell the sales person and he goes in back and brings back a 20 lb bag of very heavy lime but it was inexpensive. Shame on me for not reading the bag before buying though! Once home, hubby mixes it with water etc., and it's full of stones and is a thick sludge! Evidently limestone is not what I want! One would think the sales person would know? Anyway, I go to the internet to google hydrated lime and all I see are bags with gardens and flowers etc. on them! I thought that hydrated lime was NOT garden lime? I also checked online at my local Home Depot and Lowe's, ACE Hardware and they do not carry hydrated lime. Does anyone in BYC land have any suggestions? Please?

2. PennyM

PennyM Crowing

Apr 17, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    @Molpet Thanks for the link but none of the Lowe's within a 30 mile radius carries it in their store.

3. PennyM

PennyM Crowing

Apr 17, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks again @Molpet I'll have to keep looking. We don't have a Menards (I wish) and Home Depot within 100 miles doesn't have it either.

4. jdeppe02

jdeppe02 In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Alabama
    How do you mix the lime to apply it? I am wanting to use it for bug control in the coop . Thanks !

5. Molpet

Molpet Crossing the Road

My birds eat bugs so I don't put it down for that.... I just throw it around when the birds are out, so the dust is out of the air when they are back. People have put a layer down first and put the bedding on top

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: