Lime dust

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fishbone033, Mar 15, 2016.

1. fishbone033

fishbone033 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    I have a dirt floor chicken coop can I sprinkle lime dust down after I run a rototiller thru it to keep the ammonia smell down and then add fresh soils to top ... I started to turn dirt over and it became very pungent in smell I tried airing it out but obviously it wasn't enough because I went out this morning and found one deceased bird?????

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Since you have a dirt floor, why don't you just do the deep litter method?

3. fishbone033

Mar 5, 2015
    And what exactly is that????how does it work?

4. fishbone033

Mar 5, 2015
    Ok so I googled it lol but at a certain point and time I'm gonna have to till it up and take some out I just can't keep adding wood chips to the pen but thank you for your response I was using straw but I saw to use pine chips and to not use diatomaceous earth which I find odd but it did say why because it interrupts the break down process

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Deep litter is 6 - 8 inches of any material that is compostable. I have used grass clippings, weeds pulled from the garden, leaves I raked up in the yard, pine shavings, pine needles, trimmings from shrubs, shredded paper, peat moss, saw dust, straw, hay, pellets for horse stalls. Anything that will break down while composting.

The deep litter bedding will cover all poop since the hens will scratch in it looking for goodies to eat. They will also dust bathe in it. Deep litter done right will NEVER stink.

As the deep litter ages, there will be earth worms and bugs of all sorts on it that your hens will love to eat.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  6. fishbone033

Mar 5, 2015
    Thank you very much I will start this asap I was just thinking of turning the dirt and adding more soil .. Ur response is greatly appreciated

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by