Lime in broiler pens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Pine Roost, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Pine Roost

Pine Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    As the weather gets warmer, the smells get stronger. Yes, I clean out my pens on a regular basis....but that doesn't help a ton with the smell. My question: Is Hydrated Lime safe to put in the pens with chickens? I have been told by a few people that it will not hurt them at all, and help tremendously with smell....what do yall say?

2. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I have been using PDZ ( the horse stall refresher) for several years now without any problems. I like to use it on the floor of my coop but especially like to use it in the brooder where it needs to stay warmer- therefore, more odors. It is all natural, so no need to worry if some gets accidentally ingested by chicks.

3. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    One more thing......make sure your coop has enough ventilation. Often this is the biggest culprit for having coop odor. :)

4. Pine Roost

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    Yea I've seen sweet PDZ, but I have a lot of hydrated lime, so I need to know if it's safe to use it in a pen. It's it very well ventilated.
    Anyone know?

5. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Google it. Hydrated lime in chicken coops. Works well. [​IMG]

6. Pine Roost

Aug 16, 2012
    South Carolina
    I see that it could burn their feet if it gets wet. That could be a problem..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by