1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lime in coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TwoDogFarm, Sep 7, 2014.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    How well does lime work in a chicken coop to keep it dryer, less smelly and less fly-infested? Is it safe to use in there with my chickens and ducks?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The right kind of lime is safe. I use pelletized lime because it is also not dusty. It dehydrates anythin g it touches, making poop unattractive to flies. I guess it also stops the bacterial action on the surface of the poop, to remove smells. You only eed a handful slung around the coop; I find it quite effective.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I would get PDZ instead. It is made as a horse stall freshener. Have used it routinely for damp areas and rids smells and is chicken safe. Haven't had any fly issues. Search PDZ on forums, there is a lot of experience with it. That's where I learned about it.

4. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thank you, both. That was very helpful. We might look into some of that pdz. I've never heard of it, but it has some good reviews online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by