lime insted of DE

ellenscub

Hatching
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Monroe, Ga
I will be raking out my chickens run today. Can I spread out the lime that I have for my yard in there . I don't have any DE. haven't found any yet. I asked about it at my feed store and they looked at me as if I grew another head.
lol.png

Just make sure its says "agricultural" or "garden" lime and that its a powder and your good to go. I actually use both the de and the lime...de for the bugs and lime for the ammonia from chicken poo. Put them in a metal sieve and go for it.
woot.gif

Good luck finding a good source of de. Perhaps printing off some material about the benefits of de and bringing it to your feed store would encourage them to consider bringing in some.
thumbsup.gif

BTW... Welcome to the BYC.

Last edited:
the dolomitic lime is what you need...mine says granular but is a powder...pelletized...is it in pellet form...if so then you'll need to go to the feed store for the powdered stuff.
fl.gif

The reasoning behind the powder form is that it more easily absorbs moisture to keep the environment dry and ergo...odor free.
clap.gif

Yep garden lime (calcium carbonate) that is the correct one to use. Simply check your label to make sure.

bigzio

Just to set the record straight, hydrated lime does NOT kill poultry. It's been used routinely for years as a dessicant, odor controller and premise coccidiostat. If time allows, I aways lime my brooders between batches of chicks. If I were no longer able to obtain hydrated lime, I'd never brood another batch of ducklings. No, I'm not a person who says "I'll keep riding my horse to the blacksmith because that's how I've always done it" either.

Sorry if this came across as rude, but the information given was wrong, but was stated as absolute fact.

Back
Top Bottom