lime insted of DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ellenscub, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ellenscub

ellenscub New Egg

May 28, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I will be raking out my chickens run today. Can I spread out the lime that I have for my yard in there . I don't have any DE. haven't found any yet. I asked about it at my feed store and they looked at me as if I grew another head. [​IMG]

2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    don't use hydrated lime as that will kill the chickens

3. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Just make sure its says "agricultural" or "garden" lime and that its a powder and your good to go. I actually use both the de and the lime...de for the bugs and lime for the ammonia from chicken poo. Put them in a metal sieve and go for it. [​IMG]

Good luck finding a good source of de. Perhaps printing off some material about the benefits of de and bringing it to your feed store would encourage them to consider bringing in some. [​IMG]

BTW... Welcome to the BYC.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. ellenscub

ellenscub New Egg

May 28, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    What I have is "pelletized dolomitic limestone" I bought it to try to get my hygranga ? to bloom pink didn't work

5. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    the dolomitic lime is what you need...mine says granular but is a powder...pelletized...is it in pellet form...if so then you'll need to go to the feed store for the powdered stuff. [​IMG]

The reasoning behind the powder form is that it more easily absorbs moisture to keep the environment dry and ergo...odor free. [​IMG]

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep garden lime (calcium carbonate) that is the correct one to use. Simply check your label to make sure.

bigzio

7. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

8. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

Just to set the record straight, hydrated lime does NOT kill poultry. It's been used routinely for years as a dessicant, odor controller and premise coccidiostat. If time allows, I aways lime my brooders between batches of chicks. If I were no longer able to obtain hydrated lime, I'd never brood another batch of ducklings. No, I'm not a person who says "I'll keep riding my horse to the blacksmith because that's how I've always done it" either.

Sorry if this came across as rude, but the information given was wrong, but was stated as absolute fact.

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Since this topic has come up - can one use both DE and lime in the run?

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Good ? and can you put it down and then let the ckooks on it. I don't want to burn their feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by