Lime sulfur for scaly leg mites?

Stino12

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
Newcastle NSW Australia
HEY GUYS! 😂

So oiling the chickens isn't working. They're miserable, not laying eggs or laying soft eggs. They're fighting more and it's just stressful in general for them. I spoke to the vet who suggested either lime sulfur or Ivermectin. I'm curious about both I know Ivermectin isn't researched for chickens but it seems to be the easiest option. I'm curious about the lime sulfur I haven't read too much about it. Any help would be very much appreciated! 🥰🥰

ivermectin. You can buy the pigeon version online cheaply and double dose it. Keep oiling too, and spray the coop with permethrin based insect spray

HEY GUYS! 😂

So oiling the chickens isn't working. They're miserable, not laying eggs or laying soft eggs. They're fighting more and it's just stressful in general for them. I spoke to the vet who suggested either lime sulfur or Ivermectin. I'm curious about both I know Ivermectin isn't researched for chickens but it seems to be the easiest option. I'm curious about the lime sulfur I haven't read too much about it. Any help would be very much appreciated! 🥰🥰
Can you please post some photos of them and their legs?
Have you also been treating your coop/roosting bars with mite/lice powder or spray?

What about the oiling is not working? Oils (vaseline, castor oil, etc.) coated on the legs (worked into and underneath the scales) will smother SLM and help promote healing of the legs too.

You are in AU - how old are these chickens?
You are in "Spring" right now? Not laying eggs - did they stop laying due to winter?
What breeds do you have?
Soft shell eggs can be from parasite overload, did your vet perform a fecal float to see if worms might be an issue too?
What do you feed?

Pekin bantams, unsure of age of 2 of then hens. 1 hen is 9 months then there are a few 8 week old cockerals. Yes Aus but I live in a moderate location so we don't get harsh winters and they have laid through the winter with nil issues. Average an egg every other day so very consistent for pekins.
Oiling we tried vasoline and spray oil, but the hens were very distressed being held still and moved around to try and get in their leg feathers adequately (I was trying to do it on my own so it was quite uncomfortable for all of us). And trying to get oil/vasoline on the bubs was also distressing for the hens. The oil just went everywhere and we were all oily 😅
I moved them to another coop so there's no issue with that, the coop they were in has been moved into another yard and they have no access to it. Food is layer pellets, shells, always fresh water, some fruit and veg and a meal worm every now and then. Theyre free range in my yard and they eat a lot of bugs, snails, etc. The only time I have had egg issues was during the week I was attempting to oil them and once I stopped they started laying again normally.

I got the Ivermectin from the vet. He agreed oiling is a legitimate treatment but when I told him I had pekins he understood the feather situation 😂. He said put 2.5ml in every 97.5ml of water. Didn't say how much they should actually consume though so that confused me a little bit. Just to leave it out for them for 24h every 2 weeks for a couple of cycles.

I attached a photo of the worst Slm. None of the others have visible symptoms but obviously I'm treating them all. This hen and one other hen haven't had anything to do with the other chickens until I'd moved them in together once I found the slm to move them out of that coop and treat them all together.

Attachments

• 20200916_164810.jpg
    20200916_164810.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 59

Back
Top Bottom