Lime to kill moss in yard. Will it hurt my chickens/ducks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beccaWA, Mar 6, 2015.

1. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    I have moss growing in fairly large patches on my lawn (thanks global warming!) and I don't want to use Moss-Out, because I think it would be poisonous to fowl. I'm not sure about that. My friend who lives in a coastal region where they have lots of moss problems said you can put just lime on it, and it will kill the moss. Would just straight lime sprinkled on the moss areas harm my birds? It's going to take over the lawn!

Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Embrace the moss!

:)

White vinegar will kill it but IDK if it will work on a large scale. I have used it to kill moss on sidewalks. I put it in a spray bottle.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631850/lime
    IDK if lime will work against moss.

3. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    I live in moss country and have been using lime for three years straight and it is having little effect if any. On top of that I kill it directly each spring with a moss-killer. And it still comes back year after year. I think the idea is that moss prefers an acid environment so adding alkalinity in the form of lime should discourage it. Ha. Look how well moss grows on and around cement, and cement is chock full of lime.
    I seriously doubt it will hurt your chickens, even if they eat it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. beccaWA

beccaWA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    Thanks for the ideas and info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by