Lime to prevent flies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by paintedpoultry, Nov 27, 2007.

1. paintedpoultry

paintedpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Somerset, England
    Hi there

I am looking for information about the use of limewash inside coops to prevent flies. Is this a common practice in the US and does it work. I have seen very little about this here in the UK.

Best wishes

TeresaH

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im not sure what " limewash" is....but I use AG Lime. Its agricultural lime...almost like a rough grain sand. My chickens love it. They use the large pile where we had it dumped, for dusting...and I use it in the coops and runs. Helps to keep the smell down a bit. Hope this helps!

3. paintedpoultry

Oct 30, 2007
    Somerset, England
    Yes Deb - think that is the same thing. The limewash I believe is the lime mixed with water and applied like a paint. I have heard of it being used an a disinfectant in the old days for mass burials!

I have some instructions for building a chicken coop which I got on Ebay from the US and it says to paint the inside of the coop with limewash before putting the chickens in. Any more information would be gratefully received.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Not sure what you can get a hold of there, but....Sweet PDZ....Stall fresh..mainly used in horse/cattle barns..is safe for chickens. I use it in the bedding, on the floor. Also....DE....the food grade stuff...helps controll flies as well as lice/mites when offered to the chickens in thier dust bath materials.

5. paintedpoultry

Oct 30, 2007
    Somerset, England
    Thanks Deb - looks like it will be useful stuff and I will def. be getting hold of some this season.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Teresa, there is a whitewash made with lime, water and salt, I think, but I'm not sure of the recipe for it. Someone on here used it to paint the interior of the coop to discourage bugs and to brighten it up. Since it is nontoxic, it's a good alternative to actual paint.

7. paintedpoultry

Oct 30, 2007
    Somerset, England
    Cynthia - sounds like the perfect product - non toxic, probably fairly cheap, discourages flies and nasties - would could be better?

Talking of non-toxic, natural products, in the UK many are using the herb Oregano to help keep chickens healthy - it has anti fungal and antibiotic properties.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Speaking of oregano, when my herb garden flowers or is done for the season, I strip the leaves and flowers and sprinkle them under the roost area in the shavings. The birds dont usually eat herbs and it acts like a natural deodorizer if I sprinkle enough of them. Bugs don't usually like herbs either. I grow lettuce leaf basil, oregano and flat leaf parsley most often.

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've been using food grade DE as a whitewash on our roosts and rabbit hutches.

DE whitewash recipe:

1 Cup food grade DE added to a half a gallon of water. Stir often during use to keep DE from settling.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

10. paintedpoultry

Oct 30, 2007
    Somerset, England
    Thanks Dawn. Any idea what "DE" means? I don't suppose it matters whether its food grade or builders grade?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by