lime washing the interior?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 09northernchick, May 17, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    A neighbor mentioned that they made a wash of lime and water and maybe something else to "paint" the interior walls. It was to discourage parasites etc. I believe.

Have you heard of this or done this?

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Yes, I've heard of that. My dad used to do it in the milk barn back in the day when we had dairy cattle. I think I remember him saying it was to keep the fly population down.

Sprinkling DE would be more effective, I think.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I, too, am curious about this lime wash. When I built my coop I painted the interior, but over time it has gotten beaten up, and I had heard of the lime wash. I also have other livestock in small pens scattered around our property and I would like to spruce them up.

Has anyone used lime wash? What's your thoughts on it?

4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
  5. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Perfect! Thanks for the links! I think I will go ahead and add this of the list of things to do [​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks!

7. blasto

blasto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Richmond
    I just used a lime wash on the inside of my little coop about a month ago. It was very easy, and I chose the simple mix-with-water-and-slap-it-on approach, though if I were using it on the outside I would probably try one of the salt and overnight soak recipes. I know a pp mentioned using DE instead, but I do both. I figured the whitewash was going to get in and fill some of those spaces in the wood that mites just love to hang out in, it might help with flies, and it would help to brighten up the interior. The DE is just something I sprinkle in the bedding. It*s all good [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by