Lime whitewashing the coop...Your opinions please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JesNflock, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Paint

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Lime whitewash

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Nothing

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  4. Other...please comment what you use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    So, I am thinking about using a lime whitewash on the interior of my new coop. I read that it aids in deterring mites. Does anyone have experience in using it and would you recommend a new chicken owner like myself to go this route. Would love to hear pros/cons etc. ( I have also considered paint, probably high gloss if that was the case) I would really like to make an informative decision before I jump into any of my options. Also, if you have any other recommendations that are different I am all ears *er...eyes lol
    Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I never thought of it. We used to whitewash the inside of our barn. Its a good idea.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    deleted

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Whitewash is not durable and needs replenishment. Paint should last many years.

That would be my call.

Chris

5. Dragonid

Dragonid Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2012
    Hokum is talking about caustic or quick lime, CaO, which is not normally used for whitewashing, because it is highly caustic ... melt your lungs caustic. But I assume Jes is talking about slaked or hydrated lime Ca(OH)2 which is inert enough to be food safe, it is used in canning pickles and nixtamalizing corn, and is what is normally used for whitewashing.

I've not used lime whitewash in a coop, but I have used it other places. The need to regularly reapply the whitewash would be its main drawback. I suppose if you could work an annual whitewashing into your maintenance in the summer, it wouldn't be a big deal. The lime would be non toxic compared to paint, you could even use it as a calcium supplement in a pinch.

6. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US

Yes, I have heard that some types of lime is caustic, but like Dragonid said some is safe (That's what I would use...I don't want any bad stuff lol) I didn't know about the calcium supplement...good to know.
    Hokum, if it preserves or hardens wood that would definitely be a plus ( I am building my coop out of up-cycled pallets so anything that makes them better awesome.)
    I have only see a couple mentions of whitewashing so I thought I would do a little research and ask about it...even wondered about other alternative things for the coop. I always love to hear about different or innovative ideas (maybe some old time techniques that have been forgotten by most)
    Thanks for your input!

1 person likes this.
  7. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    This my second year with the "lime paint". It's made from Hydrated lime. There is some repainting yearly with it, but it's not bad. But I don't have very many bugs inside the coop at all. We have Box elder bugs and asian "lady bugs" but not inside the coop. They are in the "hay mow" upstairs, but not in the coop. We do get spiders and the occasional fly in side. That's it. I will keep using the lime wash paint.

8. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    One of my coops (the golden girls coop) is painted bubblegum pink inside.

My other coop was a bit drafty post construction, so I "wallpapered" with feed bags.

The painted one looks cuter, but the bags are super easy to wash down.

9. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

I was set to whitewash with hydrated lime this summer, but then other stuff to do came up. I will make it a priority come spring to do it. :) It sounds like a good idea to me. I'm always getting mites every year it seems. Ugh!

10. JesNflock

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Shellz, do you use DE in or around your coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by