1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limestone grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WiseOwl5, Jun 28, 2016.

1. WiseOwl5

WiseOwl5 Out Of The Brooder

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread, I'm still a bit new to this forum. We have 7 week olds, 9 week olds, and 11 week olds. We sometimes let them out for a bit to eat grass and we decided we had better get grit. I have heard that granite and oyster shells are good but our local feed place didn't have that. All they had was #1 and 2 silica grit and coarse limestone. We bought the limestone because we had never heard of silica. The clerk said the limestone is what people usually buy. Then after I read on this forum that high magnesium limestone is harmful to chickens. We don't know whether this grit has low or high magnesium. Should we be worried?

2. WiseOwl5

Ok, we called the vendor that sells the stuff and they say there is no magnesium in it. Apparently, we can't get granit in Canada anymore. This stuff is soluable which isn't ideal. It is between #1 and #2 and according to the person we called you only offer #3 to turkeys. Should we have gotten the silica? Should we get that next time?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The limestone is too soft for good grinding, but save it for when you need to supplement calcium during egg-laying. I got a bag of calcitic limestone for this purpose (I can get oyster shells, but since there was a vegetarian option, I took it). Silica would be for grinding as it would hold up better.

4. WiseOwl5

Ok, We'll have to get some next time we're in town. Thanks for the help. :)

5. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    I have to agree with Jensownzoo on the silica. Silica is sand, and the same stuff they melt to make glass out of. That would be your best choice it sounds like for grit for the birds.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by