Liming the Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ducks4you, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Hi! [​IMG] I'm a newbee and I need some advice. I'm about to build both a tractor and a coop. I've been reading and I came across the following site:

http://tinyfarmblog.com/liming-the-chickenhouse/

They suggest using lime and water to paint both inside and outside of the coop. I am torn. [​IMG]

I'd like to paint a pretty house for my new chicks that are arriving next month. (They'll keep my Rhode Island Red, Fanny, company.)

What about it BYCers? Any suggestions? I'm anxious for your opinions. [​IMG]

2. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I think it is up to you. If you want to paint, then paint it. The lime will help keep bugs down so just use the lime on the inside. The main thing with a coop is to keep it clean. Clean meaning clean out the poop and nest boxes so bug/mites do not start infesting your coop. I use lime in the floor of my coop about twice a year. I have a dirt/sand floor so it mixes in well.

3. ducks4you

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I LIKE the idea of keeping down bugs and lice, and putting down lice with the litter. Thanks![​IMG]

4. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    I would paint and decorate the coop first....then lime the area and inside....do not over spread lime now because you don't have a problem, use as a preventive measure.

BYC Forum is the place we all start the race as an EGG! Welcome!!!

HappyHatch'en

5. ducks4you

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Thanks! That's a good idea. BYC members are SO helpful![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by