1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

limiting food?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Sep 10, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    When do you start limiting the ducks food?

Mine are almost 4 weeks old and the pekings are double the size of the welsh harlequin's and the Mallards. But on another thread I was reading about how you know you have a fat duck--- And my Pekings are starting to get that pooch in front, is this normal?

I am feeding 31 ducklings an ice cream pail in the morning and one in the evening-- and sometimes when I check them in the day I give them more as well as I was told to keep food in front of them 24/7. How much should they be getting? And when do I cut back so that they only have food during the day?

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    any one? What do you do about food for your older ducks?

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't limit my duck's food

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thank you wifezilla- Do your ducks have food through out the night as well?

5. MrsDuck

MrsDuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Western WA
    We don't limit food during the day. They have access to their feed, and during daylight hours they're able to forage around the yard. We take up the food at night to discourage rats. The duckling that is inside (3 weeks old) has food 24/7. When she's fully feathered and moved outside, she'll go on the same schedule as the other two. [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They have 24/7 access but they are in a big covered run. If you have a small nightpen they will be ok overnight without food or water despite those pathetic looks they give you when you lock them up [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just checking in. We have eleven runners, six months old. They had food and water 24/7 until they were 8 or 10 weeks old, and then it was only overnight - 8 hours - that they were without. This is because, due to extenuating circumstances, they were still in the (very large) brooder.

Once outside, they have food and water from wake up (between 6 and 7 a.m.) and bedtime (between 9:30 and 10:30 p.m.). At bedtime, we remove the food tray to avoid attracting wild nighttime critters (though the skunk this week was still hopeful). They have water all night in their screened porch, not in their house. On hot nights, I give them two water pans that are large enough for two of them to sit in at once, so they can cool off.

We have never had a concern with overweight.

Do they get treats or have access to forage during the day? How much protein do they get (what feed are you using)? Can you upload pictures?

8. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Right now they are in a smaller "brooder" type room in the barn- no access to run as of yet. Every so often they will get a treat otherwise it is their duck food which I believe is 20% protein. I have been having them have access to food and water 24/7 But I was going to guess at some point just like the chickens I would have to have empty dishes for at night.

I will try and upload pictures soon (have figured it out somewhat [​IMG] ) Thanks all I just don't want to make stupid mistakes with them!

9. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    with over 150 ducks and guineas in my yard, the only thing that limits my ducks food is my wallet. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by