1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Gizzardsniffer

Gizzardsniffer New Egg

Apr 26, 2007
    Marion NC
    Hi Folks,
    Here's another question that I'm sure has already been asked but I couldn't find so I'll ask anyway.Whats the best thing to use to keep the smell down in my pens?Would lime work or would that hurt my birds?I try to keep my pens cleaned out but it can still produce unpleasant orders depending on the weather.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Are you talking inside the run or inside the coop? Can't give you any advice with the run because (I'm assuming) your weather and mine are nothing alike.
    For inside the coop, pine (NOT CEDAR!) shavings work well. Some people use straw, etc. but the shavings obsorb the moisture.

3. Gizzardsniffer

Gizzardsniffer New Egg

Apr 26, 2007
    Marion NC
    Mostly talking about the outside runs,after it rains and then the sun comes back out is when it seems the worst.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...you could sprinkle some Sweet PDZ out there....but when it rains...will wash it away...and that stuff is not cheep! LOL

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    If this is a seasonal thing, you could pressure-wash the ground during the stinky season a couple of times. I don't know if this would work, but the problem sounds like it relates to too much stinky wet poo, and so if you washed it away every once in a while maybe that would help. Of course you'd have to do something with the dirty water from there... I don't know about that part. Compost? If the area is tilted, no problem [​IMG]

-MTchick

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

You might also want to try to turn the dirt once in a white....or rake it out. I have 50 plus chickens..and no smell. Maybe im just picky about cleaning? Hope you find something that works for you.

7. SlowHorse

SlowHorse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Could you share your bedding/cleaning method for your coop? We have fifty as well. The coop isn't quite as "minty fresh" as I'd like. [​IMG] We have been using straw, trying for the deep litter method but I don't know how well that's working. It's not terrible, but I think it could be better. If I opted for shavings, would I need to strip out the straw first? I have the Sweet PDZ handy as I use it in the horses' run-in shed. Is it safe for the chickies if they eat some? (I'm assuming if I go in there and spread some around, they're going to want to eat it - or at least try). I do spread a bit of feed in the straw so that they'll scratch to try to keep things turned up.

Thanks so much for any guidance. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by