Limp comb, listless hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1cutechick, Nov 10, 2016.

1. 1cutechick

1cutechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    One of my 2 yr old Leghorns started acting sluggish a couple days ago. She is still sitting on the roost, but I watched her walk the plank from the roost to the nesting box and she seemed very sluggish and unsure. She laid in there all day but was back on the roost last night, then back in the nesting box this am. Her comb is light colored and very limp. She has her back side facing out of the nest, and it looks very messy. Yesterday she did a little "squirt" while walking to the nest. I didn't think to look under the roost where she was sitting to see if there was anything there. I'm thinking maybe she has "pasty but"? I"m gone all day, but I'm guessing she is not eating or drinking and spending the day in the box. She didn't want any corn I offered her yesterday which is unusual for her. She is not a friendly bird and very skittish to I've been letting her be by herself rather than stressing her more. Tonight I'll try to soak her behind in warm water and keep her in the house to see if that helps. Should I use Dawn dish soap to clean her up or just warm water? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you. She has not been laying regular for quite a while either, but none of them are. She looks like she feels miserable.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What do you feed? How much treats?

3. 1cutechick

1cutechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    I buy layer feed from the feed store that is 16% protein I believe. They get corn and BOSS for treats. Thanks

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Try cutting out the Boss and Corn for a week or so......?

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by