Limp Comb, Runny Dark Green Poo, Usually Very Energetic Hen Acting Docile

Crumbling Beauty

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Portland, OR
My BFF hen, Isa, has not been herself since yesterday. She was up at my door, setting on the stoop, first thing in the morning. We noticed her poo was runny, and green, and that there was some yolk residue around her vent. I've bathed her, and I did an internal inspection with some KY. Her abdomen doesn't seem swollen, and there didn't seem to be any egg matter inside of her. When she pushed against my finger, nothing came out but a little bit of normal (if runny) looking poo. I was think she might have EYP, but most of the symptoms don't factor after my examination.

Does any one have any idea what might be wrong with her? She is about 1.5 years old, and has always been really vital and a good layer. She hasn't laid an egg in probably three weeks (which I attributed to the introduction of this years babies/teenagers to the flock). I have her inside, where she is perching on the edge of her sick bay. She is eating a little of her regular food, but doesn't seem to drink much. I'm trying to give her an antibiotic, but it's one that you add to the water. I've been carefully using a mini-dropper to get her to take some now and then, but it doesn't seem like enough.

She's a buttercup, so the limpness of her comb is obvious and not normal for her. I'm out with my chickens more than once every day, so I'm hoping I've noticed this soon enough that I can treat it.

Thank you for your help :).

I have not had a hen will internal laying issues, but everything I have read seems to point out that it is a chronic problem with high production birds. I'm not sure that there is a whole lot you can do, other than supportive care. If she gets egg bound, you might be able to help her. These chickens have a tendency to do it over and over. If she does die, I would do a necropsy on her to see if she has those masses inside which indicate internal laying. There are many pictures here on BYC if you search "pictures of internal layers."

Last edited:
Thank you for replying :)!

I have dealt with an egg-bound chicken in the past, but I have never known this chicken to have a laying problem, or problems of any kind. Also, I have checked and I can't find any masses or material of any kind inside her. She's a Sicilian Buttercup, so not really meant for high production laying. After some thought I'm trying to treat her for cocci. . . do you think that's the right path? And do you know of a better way than corid-in-water to treat it?

Her poo has gone back to a normal color, though it's still runny.

Thank you for replying :)!

I have dealt with an egg-bound chicken in the past, but I have never known this chicken to have a laying problem, or problems of any kind. Also, I have checked and I can't find any masses or material of any kind inside her. She's a Sicilian Buttercup, so not really meant for high production laying. After some thought I'm trying to treat her for cocci. . . do you think that's the right path? And do you know of a better way than corid-in-water to treat it?

Her poo has gone back to a normal color, though it's still runny.
Symptoms could be several things. If you feel she may Coccidiosis, the dosage for Corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,dosage for Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat all chickens for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication) give vitamins after treatment. Dark green poop is usually an indication of not eating(other than eating grass clippings,etc.)

How is her crop,any symptoms of impacted/sour crop? Vent area,possible vent gleet? Egg peritonitis is something else to consider.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply!

Her vent looks normal: correct color, no swelling. Her abdomen does not seem to be distended, or swollen, or overly hot. Her crop doesn't feel spongy or impacted: I can feel the individual seeds and grains, and no there's no squishiness. I'm not sure what else to look for. I've examined her cloaca and her insides seemed smooth and unobstructed, as well. There is, though, obviously something wrong with her. Her comb is so sad looking, and she is not her usual, wild self. I have her with me, in the house.

Do they make corid in a pill form, at all? I have been carefully using a mini dropper, to make sure she takes enough water.

Thank you for your reply!

Her vent looks normal: correct color, no swelling. Her abdomen does not seem to be distended, or swollen, or overly hot. Her crop doesn't feel spongy or impacted: I can feel the individual seeds and grains, and no there's no squishiness. I'm not sure what else to look for. I've examined her cloaca and her insides seemed smooth and unobstructed, as well. There is, though, obviously something wrong with her. Her comb is so sad looking, and she is not her usual, wild self. I have her with me, in the house.

Do they make corid in a pill form, at all? I have been carefully using a mini dropper, to make sure she takes enough water.
Not to my knowledge. Only powder or liquid.

Thanks.

Is there some way of knowing if it is cocci, by particular signs of improvement? And how quickly should it be apparent that the treatment is working, if you know? Sorry for all of the questions---I love my girls and I just want to stay ahead of it and do right by them. She is eating more today, and drinking some, on her own. I understand that green poo is a sign of not eating (?), so I'm taking the color change as a hopeful sign.

Back
Top Bottom