Limp Gone Horribly Wrong, Help?

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
Hi! I have an EE who is two years old. A couple of weeks ago, she had been pecked by the other chickens. We separated her and she was healing well. But, then she started limping. It was a weird limp, too. Her left foot with her toes curled. Soon she started dragging it. Now, she can't really walk at all. She drags her body awkwardly and used her wings as crutches. I can't tell if her other leg is still okay, or if it is going bad too.

There does not seem to be anything outwardly, physically wrong with her foot/leg. No bumblefoot. I thought maybe she had scaley leg mites and gave her Ivermectin. I've been giving her Epsom salt baths too. She is eating okay and drinking a lot. I've been giving her food like tuna and cottage cheese for more vitamins and electrolytes in her water. She is alert but just not moving.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? What can I do? She just keeps getting worse. I've had a lot of chickens die this year, And really do not want to lose another...

Thanks!

Here are some photos. Sorry, they aren't very good. She's molting too.

IMG_5869.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

IMG_5871.jpg

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in recent months? The suggestion of Mareks disease is a good possibility, since curled toe paralysis in one leg can be a common symptom. Older chickens can get it if they are exposed to a new flock member for more than 3 weeks who has not been vaccinated, but can be a carrier. Also an injury causing nerve injury might be a possibility. Since molting is a stressful time, sometimes an illness that has been lying dormant may suddenly show up. We hope that it is not Mareks. I would try giving your hen 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex crushed into a little food or water daily for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. If you should lose her, most state vets can perform a necropsy and test for Mareks. A blood test can be done from home, if you contact certain labs, such as RAL. I can send a link if interested.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in recent months? The suggestion of Mareks disease is a good possibility, since curled toe paralysis in one leg can be a common symptom. Older chickens can get it if they are exposed to a new flock member for more than 3 weeks who has not been vaccinated, but can be a carrier. Also an injury causing nerve injury might be a possibility. Since molting is a stressful time, sometimes an illness that has been lying dormant may suddenly show up. We hope that it is not Mareks. I would try giving your hen 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex crushed into a little food or water daily for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. If you should lose her, most state vets can perform a necropsy and test for Mareks. A blood test can be done from home, if you contact certain labs, such as RAL. I can send a link if interested.
I started giving her B complex last night. We got chicks from a neighbor a few months ago. I really hope it is not Marek's...

Back
Top Bottom