LIMP HEN - please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ilovemygirls, May 23, 2010.

1. Ilovemygirls

Ilovemygirls New Egg

May 23, 2010
    I have just been down in the yard to lock my hens up for the night and noticed that one of my Barnevelder hens was sitting in the middle of the backyard. Very unusual and when I approached her, she didn't run away as she normally would. I picked her up and brought her inside. Her vent was covered in runny poo. Her right leg is limp and her claws on this right leg are curled inwards. I'm so worried about her. She was treated for coccidiosis and vent dermatitis several weeks ago and seemed to be on the mend. I did notice this week though that she was again straining to do poos, but put this down to recovery of the dermatitis. Anyway, she is inside with me now, still eating like a champion and has already gone through two dishes of water! She can't stand up and I can see that her left leg/foot is normal but her right foot is curled up still. She otherwise appears alert. The whole flock (including this one) were treated with Noroclav in the last week. Please help, I don't want to loose this girl, she is my little darling.

2. Ilovemygirls

Ilovemygirls New Egg

May 23, 2010
    Anybody?? [​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Hope it's not Mareks disease, which will paralize a limb. Please read up on it.

4. Ilovemygirls

Ilovemygirls New Egg

May 23, 2010
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was concerned it might be that too. I took her to the vet this morning and she was still her happy self - eating well, feisty with the vet etc. The vet didn't seem to think Mareks was at the top of the list (but nonetheless a consideration), and was going to try her on a course of anti-inflammatories. Chicken did a poo while in the consultation and from then she deteriorated rapidly - I'm talking within 2 minutes! The vet pumped her full of drugs to try and save her, but she was gone 5 minutes later. The vet is an avian vet and is at a complete loss as to the sudden and extreme onset and deterioration right before our very eyes. I still can't believe it myself. RIP Roberta x

5. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    So sorry about your hen. ((hugs))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by