Limp Leg Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cparr73, Nov 20, 2016.

1. cparr73

cparr73 Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Hello, I am new to chickens and I have 6 hens that are about 6 months old now, none are laying yet. I am in Colorado and we had snow the other day, temps got down to about 23 degrees. I noticed yesterday that my Americauna was having trouble using her right leg. It seems to be limp and she teter todders while she stands, when she can. I removed her from the other 2 that she was with to inspect her. At first I thought she was just too cold and may have frostbite but she doesn't and she doesnt seem to have any wheezing or breathing problems. Then I thought she might be egg bound but I do not think she is as she is pooping and I don't think I can feel an egg in there. Then I read she might be vitamin B deficient or have Mareks disease. Or maybe she just sprained something while jumping down or up the coop ramp. I have read so many blog posts and websites, I just don't know what to do as its hard to say what is wrong with her. I have her in a box inside the house since yesterday afternoon with some layer food w/oyster shells and some electrolyte water. I gave her a couple warm baths as well. I can't keep her inside for long and I don't know if I should put her back in the coop. Its a catawba style coop. I also really just needed to vent and am hoping someone has some expert advice. Its so sad to see her like this. Any advice?

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

If you can keep her eating and drinking, then she'll make it. I'd say she probably sprained her ankle. Cut some vet wrap into little strips and wrap her foot; put each individual toe in its own wrap. Make the strips like an 1/8 of an inch; super tiny. Or you could make her a splint. Someone on here did that recently, but I haven't looked at the thread. I'd keep her in a kennel til she isn't limping. Just put her in your garage if you can't keep her in the house, but she needs a rest so she can heal.

3. cparr73

cparr73 Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Thank you for the reply! I've kept her inside for about a week and she's still the same. I did take her out side one day and she did really good. She kept low to the ground but she was walking ok. Still kinda wobbly though. She's still eating alot and has drank Life Lytes vitamin water and an ACV water mix. I'll be keeping her inside for another week and see how she does. She lays down alot, eats while laying down too. But if i pick her up, she kicks her legs and I can see that they work! haha. I have checked her legs too and I do not see or feel anything out of the ordinary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by