Limp Wing- Not Broken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by inatalie, Nov 3, 2010.

1. inatalie

inatalie New Egg

Jul 5, 2009
    Hi People,

My hen Buffy had what i thought was a broken wing. She is about 18 Months old. I wrapped it for 2 weeks and took the bandage off Saturday. Her wing is still hanging low and she is not able to move it at all. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with her? Her vent is fine, no breathing problems and eyes look healthy. There does not appear to be any trauma associated with the wing. She does not seem to be in pain.

Many thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    First, it takes longer than that for a fracture to heal, at least 4 weeks. She could have nerve damage, a stroke, any number of things. Regardless, the fix is the same, put it back in some sort of sling. She will need it to prevent the wing from dragging on the ground and getting sores from the dragging, also to prevent further deformity in her shoulder.

3. inatalie

inatalie New Egg

Jul 5, 2009
    Thank you so much. All sources I saw on line had a 2 week heal time. Poor girl. Hope it gets better.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Funny, I've usually read 4 weeks. I have no personal experience except with people bones which take at least 6. Probably depends on which bone.

Yes, poor girl. Hope it heals, but she can probably lead a good chicken life with a sling, if need be. People with useless arms are prone to shoulder aches, so the sling is also to hold the shoulder in a normal position.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by