Limp wing....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MMGerlinger, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MMGerlinger

MMGerlinger Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    One of my hens has a wing that is hanging low.... She can't fly, but can jump ok. Today, I finally separated her because she was hiding out a bit more and I was worried she'd stop eating. I put some mealworm treat/mix in with her food today, and am giving her probiotics in her water. She let me catch and hold her twice, so she's moving slower than she was. I felt her wing and stretched it out somewhat, and she didn't make any noise... I did it to both wings. I did that twice, and the first time, she held her wing up more for a while more "normal" than before I Did it... The 2nd time, no change, her wing was continuing to hang lower. There Might be a bump under one wing, but I"m not certain if that's new or different than before, or the other wing. I didn't feel a bump under her other wing, but it felt like bone/cartilage... So could be normal. Any ideas? She also makes me think she's sick by how she's acting, but no trouble breathing or anything. I think she's not eating quite as much as she should either, but I saw that she ate some food between the two times I've checked on her so far.

My plan is to keep her separated from the rest (We just built a small coop Saturday).... to try to monitor her eating etc. She wants to be with her buddies, but I do not want to find her pecked to death, so any ideas would be helpful. I've considered putting her in a sling of sorts, but do not have any idea how to do it, or if it would even help her....

2. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    So, now I'm worried about this. I don't know the history of these chickens, though the people we got them from never mentioned any illness in the flock, of course, I Had no idea to ask either.

I guess I'm doing what I can, but sounds like keeping her separated is the way to go, but may be too late for the rest anyway.

[​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/709759/help-droopy-wing-in-pullet-injury-palsey

I sure hope it's just a wing injury, but I will probably break out the pumpkin tomorrow and try to get her to eat some of that, and keep giving her some treats. I can't think of anything else that I'm not already doing for her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If I were you I would leave her in her coop and run inside a cage if needed, then let her out with her flock some each day with supervision. That might keep her spirits up while you are figuring out what is wrong.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    She isn't eating well, and seems off balance, when I set her down.... I got her to eat some yogurt, and a bit of food earlier when I held her and put the food in her face. I can't seem to get her to drink water though... I have probiotics in it, but she's not drinking it as far as I can tell. She's also tucking her head in and not extending it, and isn't moving around well, and her right wing is limp, & the left one appearing to start that way. She did eat quite a bit when I sat with her, held her, and got her to eat, but I'm not able to do that regularly...

I work during the day, so releasing her with the flock and supervision isn't possible..... But, her coup is where the other chickens roam during the day, so she's separated, but can hear/see them.

She isn't moving all that much... I'm able to catch her really easily which wasn't the case last week. I know she must feel terrible

Might be time to euthanize her.... Hubby will be home tomorrow and we can decide.
    My dad mentioned St. Johns wort.... Maybe I can add that to their food in general?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would take the probiotics out of the water, and see if she likes it better. You can give her a small amount of yogurt instead. How long have you had her? Mareks can be in anyone's soil or housing. Any chicken exposed to it can get it. Does she have any leg weakness or any other problems with her eyes or pupil size or irregularity? I have read where a lot of people are trying the St. John's Wort for any improvement. It's so sad having to think about putting one down.

7. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    Ok, I'll remove the probiotics tonight. I gave her some st johns wort & water last night (in a syringe).... and some probiotic & water the same way. She did eat some food out of my hand.... She walks slowly, when she does walk, so maybe some leg weakness. If I hold her she will curl her toes, and when I put her down, she won't uncurl her toes for a while, and just kind of leans 'til she stabilizes.... but she will walk a little, just slowly.... Her eyes look fine as far as I can tell. She doesn't seem to have any trouble there - but I will check her pupils more closely. I have yogurt out there for her to nibble on, but yesterday she didn't eat at all out of her food bowl I have out there. When i feed her from my hand, she'll peck and pick pieces, move some aside... then sometimes will stop, and move her head to one side.. then go back to eating.... Sometimes I move my hand to remind her it's there and she'll eat.

I've only had her since June, and she was a couple months old then. I got her with 12 others (one of whom died due to respiratory illness I think - well was pecked to death due to the illness [​IMG] ). This coop was cleaned out pretty extensively before we put in our chickens, but it was on the property when we bought the house, so it's possible the chickens from the previous owner had it, but I have no way of knowing. From what I hear, they weren't the best at taking care of their animals anyway.

8. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    So..... I'm going to have to put her down I think. I am going to have my hubby do it when he gets home, because I'm too big of a wimp.
    I was gone at work all day, and when I got home, she was on her back, kind of trying to get up, but couldn't. I Picked her up, and she was leaning back really bad.... Felt like she had probably been that way for a while because she was cold. Probably hasn't eaten, again, today. Yesterday and the day before I got some fluids in her, with st. johns wort, and some probiotic mix stuff..... And I got her to eat out of my hand. Tonight, she refused the syringe to drink.

Anyway, first one we've had to put down so I am quite upset. But..... In the end, it will be better. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong or what to do to help her get better.

On another note - anyone know where we can send her for testing for Mareks, if we decide to do it, and what the cost is? That way, if any other chickens start acting sick, I'll know what to expect and can act sooner, or at least put them out of their misery sooner?

Thanks all.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. MMGerlinger

Oct 24, 2013
    Reno Nevada
    Ok, I'll save that info. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by