Limping 1yr old RIR hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenpotter, Mar 23, 2016.

1. chickenpotter

chickenpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va
    I see no signs of bumble foot . What else should I look for? Just noticed the limping today. I watch my hens closely, so I'm sure this is new.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check for swelling or redness of the joints on her foot and leg. Look for bruising which could be a broken bone. More than likely, she has sprained or leg by jumping off the roost. This can require a couple of weeks of limited activity, which can rest the leg.

3. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va

Thanks- I'll check her over carefully today. How do I limit her movement?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Placing her in a dog crate or cage with food and water inside the coop or run would be best. I use a cage or I use this contraption where I can cover the top with bird netting to keep them from jumping out. It comes apart for storage.

[​IMG]

5. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va
    Thanks- I have a moveable run that I can use. I'll keep her confined for a few days and see if she improves.

6. Blulaced Damsel

Blulaced Damsel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2015
    Wait-- do you have MY CHICKEN???? [​IMG]

I had the exact same situation- lame RIR hen- she was about 2 years old. Never showed signs of injury just was severely limping one day. I limited her exercise through confinement for a couple of weeks, but that only made the limp barely better. She was a SPITFIRE! So she had no trouble with any of the others bothering her or hen pecking. In fact THE OPPOSITE!! I ended up rehoming her because she took an entire 8 feet of roost to herself... there simply wasn't enough roost space for her to have an entire one to herself... what a BULLY! Going on two years of being a gimpy hen and she doesn't seem to care one bit- happy at her new home and just as ornery with the new flock of chickens she lives with.
    When she runs she looks like she is a tiny two legged, feathered, galloping horse with a beak!!! [​IMG]

7. chickenpotter

Apr 21, 2015
    Mechanicsville, Va
    Fortunately my Little Brownie is the sweetest of my hens! I've heard a lot about RIRs being bullies, but she is very docile. My favorite girl! Blue laced Damsel I am glad yours is still kicking. Thanks to all for the feedback. It has been a week and she is doing much better. I did not have to impound her- she started showing signs of improvement as soon as I solicited help here. It must have been a sprain. She is a big girl. Whenever anything goes wrong I really worry!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good news. Actually I have some of the old line RIR that are dark mahogany, and they are the most docile chickens I have had. Even the roosters are weenies. The hatchery RIR, which are some what mixed for high egg production tend to be more aggressive as a whole, but every chicken can be different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by