Limping 4 month old pullet and bloodshot eyes

SLA

Songster
Jan 15, 2021
We noticed one of our sweet girls limping last night during their early evening foraging. Today it was worse. She still eats and drinks, but sits more frequently than usual. We couldn’t tell if it was bumblefoot, but we soaked her foot in epsom salt water, applied antibiotics and wrapped her foot. However, while soaking, I got a close look at her eyes. They appeared to have blood blisters or to be bloodshot. This made me wonder if something more serious is occurring and her limping is caused by something more nefarious. I am searching for a vet that will see chickens. I live in the city. Any thoughts?

Here is a pic:
2B2627C3-86D7-41A6-844E-8CFCCBEFB624.jpeg

What does the other eye look like? It is hard to tell what is going on with her eye, but I wonder if she was pecked or injured? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? How old is she? Have you seen any swelling or green bruising along the entire leg and joints? Does she hold her leg up or put weight on it?

The other eye looks a little “bloodshot” but not as bad. We tended to her left foot yesterday thinking bumblefoot, but today she is walking on her toes of her right foot. I can tell she is in pain. Unless Mt. Healthy Hatcheries vaccinated our girls right after hatching, then she hasn’t been vaccinated.

Called them, they weren’t vaccinated. You have to request it. We did lots of research as novices, but somehow missed this. Ugh!

What does the other eye look like? It is hard to tell what is going on with her eye, but I wonder if she was pecked or injured? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? How old is she? Have you seen any swelling or green bruising along the entire leg and joints? Does she hold her leg up or put weight on it?
I was going to tag you LOL
I've not seen anything really like that. I do wonder if it's injury.

@SLA can you get some photos of her foot/legs and/or a video of her walking/moving. For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

If she's acting like she's in pain, then I would lean more toward injury. Most folks that have Marek's in their flock don't mention "pain" when they talk about mobility issues.

I was going to tag you LOL
I've not seen anything really like that. I do wonder if it's injury.

@SLA can you get some photos of her foot/legs and/or a video of her walking/moving. For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

If she's acting like she's in pain, then I would lean more toward injury. Most folks that have Marek's in their flock don't mention "pain" when they talk about mobility issues.
I’ll try to get a video. Thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom