Limping and can’t Stand

missibird200

Hatching
Jul 19, 2022
I’m not sure what to do for my 2 year old hen. Lately my hen has lost a lot of butt feathers and had a red skin patch under her belly ( not sure if that has anything to do with this) but I checked her for mites and nothing so I just put DG everywhere. Well yesterday I saw her limping in the evening. She was still up and walking but had a little limp. I figured she probably just injured herself somehow as I checked for bumblefoot and swelling but there wasn’t any. But this morning when I let everyone out of the coop, she jumped forward on one leg then just laid sideways. She’s always known for hurting herself somehow but never this bad. It’s so weird that whatever is wrong with her got so much worse overnight. Any tips on what to do? I already put her in a small isolated coop with food and water right in front of her so she doesn’t have to walk to drink or eat.

What is DG? Did you mean DE? Have you added any new birds recently to your flock? Keep looking for mites or lice under the vent and you might want to check at night as well. I would place her in a pen or dog crate with food and water very close to her. It is hard to diagnose limping. It could be a sprain. Mareks disease could be on the list of things to rule out, but usually shows up at a young age unless a carrier comes into the flock. Do you see any swelling of joints, redness, or green bruising on legs?

What is DG? Did you mean DE? Have you added any new birds recently to your flock? Keep looking for mites or lice under the vent and you might want to check at night as well. I would place her in a pen or dog crate with food and water very close to her. It is hard to diagnose limping. It could be a sprain. Mareks disease could be on the list of things to rule out, but usually shows up at a young age unless a carrier comes into the flock. Do you see any swelling of joints, redness, or green bruising on legs?
Yes I meant DE, and no new birds, they have all been here at the same time 2 years ago so I’m hoping that rules out Mareks. No swelling or bruising that I can tell. It does look like there is some redness on the one leg she can’t stand on.

Back
Top Bottom