Limping and now not eating

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
Hi Everyone! I have a 4-year old hen that started to limp last week. Looked like she was doing better so I kept her with the flock. Today she is not bearing any weight at all, the girls are picking on her and my rooster is doing what roosters do (he’s much bigger than the girls). She is showing no other symptoms other than not eating/drinking. Respiratory seems fine, crop and bottom seem fine. I don’t know if she has laid an egg (I can’t tell them apart as to who laid what egg). The rest of the flock of 6 hens and the rooster are showing no signs of illness at all.

It was suggested on a FB group that I tag @azygous and @Wyorp Rock for help.

Of course, she is one of my favorites. She is Thelma and one of her sidekicks is Louise - my brave girls. I had a fox attack about 2 months ago while they were free-ranging and both of those girls survived with lots of TLC.

Thank you!! And Happy Labor Day!

Attachments

• F78426A2-B57B-4990-8ED9-68F6E69F1A3F.jpeg
    F78426A2-B57B-4990-8ED9-68F6E69F1A3F.jpeg
    594.1 KB · Views: 24
  • E8E8AEF3-0A1A-4326-9174-82FBB32BEA28.jpeg
    E8E8AEF3-0A1A-4326-9174-82FBB32BEA28.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 3
Was this hen injured in the fox attack? Some injuries aren't apparent at first.

First thing to do is give her sugar water and electrolytes to restore her chemical balance and give her a boost of energy that might stimulate her appetite. One teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water with a pinch of salt and baking soda in place of her plain drinking water for the next 24 hours.

Tempt her with some soft boiled egg, cooked rice with buttermilk or yogurt. Continue to offer her regular feed. Poultry Nutri-drench is a good supplement for a sick chicken. Use for three to five days.

Giving B-complex, found in the vitamin section for people, can help heal damaged nerve connections is this is her problem. A tablet a day directly into the beak, not crushed or diluted, for a month. There should be improvement by then. If not, she will be worse, and then you should suspect an avian virus such as Marek's.

Was this hen injured in the fox attack? Some injuries aren't apparent at first.

First thing to do is give her sugar water and electrolytes to restore her chemical balance and give her a boost of energy that might stimulate her appetite. One teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water with a pinch of salt and baking soda in place of her plain drinking water for the next 24 hours.

Tempt her with some soft boiled egg, cooked rice with buttermilk or yogurt. Continue to offer her regular feed. Poultry Nutri-drench is a good supplement for a sick chicken. Use for three to five days.

Giving B-complex, found in the vitamin section for people, can help heal damaged nerve connections is this is her problem. A tablet a day directly into the beak, not crushed or diluted, for a month. There should be improvement by then. If not, she will be worse, and then you should suspect an avian virus such as Marek's.
Thank you. I gave her water with nutri-drench, she barely touched it. I’ll try to give it to her with a syringe. Should I still do the sugar water mixture first?

She picked at a hard boiled egg (mostly the yellow part) and won’t touch anything else.

She was not injured in the attack that I am aware of. The attack was actually at the end of June.

And, they were vaccinated against Mareks and Coccidiosis (we got them from Murray McMurray) - so could they still get Mareks?

Last edited:
Do you see any bruising or swelling of her legs or joints (even under her feathers)?
No bumblefoot?

How's her abdomen - feel below her vent between her legs for bloat or feeling of fluid.
Is she pooping?

I agree, I'd work on hydration and offering vitamin support.

There are so many things that can affect a hen, sometimes you have to just start with some basics and go from there.

At 4 yrs old, she may be suffering from reproductive problems, but Marek's and ALV would be something to consider as well.
And, yes, unfortunately a vaccinated bird can become symptomatic with Marek's. The vaccine may only help limit tumor formation, it does not stop or prevent infection from the virus.

Do you see any bruising or swelling of her legs or joints (even under her feathers)?
No bumblefoot?

How's her abdomen - feel below her vent between her legs for bloat or feeling of fluid.
Is she pooping?

I agree, I'd work on hydration and offering vitamin support.

There are so many things that can affect a hen, sometimes you have to just start with some basics and go from there.

At 4 yrs old, she may be suffering from reproductive problems, but Marek's and ALV would be something to consider as well.
And, yes, unfortunately a vaccinated bird can become symptomatic with Marek's. The vaccine may only help limit tumor formation, it does not stop or prevent infection from the virus.
Thank you. Unfortunately she has passed. I noticed last night that her crop felt squishy, her belly was not bloated and no water belly. Didn’t see bruising either, but she is missing feathers due to being my rooster‘s favorite.

Should I take her for a necropsy? If it is mareks, I fear for my other chickens. Anything I can do to keep them safe?

Refrigerate the body and call these people for instructions.
Animal Diagnostic Lab. Wiley Lane University Park, PA 16802. Phone: 814-863-0837. Fax: 814-865-3907. Email: [email protected].

Yes. I highly recommend you get a necropsy. Knowing what this is will be of tremendous help managing your flock.

Thank you. Unfortunately she has passed. I noticed last night that her crop felt squishy, her belly was not bloated and no water belly. Didn’t see bruising either, but she is missing feathers due to being my rooster‘s favorite.

Should I take her for a necropsy? If it is mareks, I fear for my other chickens. Anything I can do to keep them safe?
:hugsI'm sorry about your hen.
I agree, if possible, getting a necropsy will give you answers.

Back
Top Bottom