Limping badly. broken toe?

Kel60

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
I'm Not sure what else it could he at this point. Vibe check was limping just a little for almost two weeks. We figured she sprained something and seemed to be walking it off Just fine. But we left for 4 days(came back yesterday) and she can barely put any weight on the foot now! She hobbles few steps then flops over gasping in pain. The bizzar thing is she still seems to be perching to sleep! I dont know how the hell shes doing it with how she seems to be walking.

Iv checked her foot and cant find any obvious breaks or cuts. Shes definitely in pain when I check it though. shes still eating and drinking good. Shes been camping out in quiet corners and resting. I bring her over a water dish and some snacks when I see her and shes happy enough to dig in.

What can I do for her? I want to take her to a vet. But as far as I know none of my local vets will take chickens. Should I bring her in? I have a small cloth dog pen i keep her in for a bit. Thus far the other chickens are leaving her be and dont seem be picking on her.

When she walks she does so with her toes curled under. Or with only the middle toe out. She almost definently got caught on A lose bit of chicken wire and hurt herself getting loose. I fixed the spot and it shouldn't happen again.

Pics to follow

Last edited:
I would probably separate a hen with a limp like that in a crate or similar inside the run if you can, watering the ground to help keep her cool too when the days are so hot. We had a hen with a bad injury which took months to heal well enough for her to rejoin the flock - she still has a defined limp but runs around and manages fine with the rest. We confined her to be sure she wasn’t bullied and plied her with plenty of good food and water and she just healed as best she could in her own time.

I would probably separate a hen with a limp like that in a crate or similar inside the run if you can, watering the ground to help keep her cool too when the days are so hot. We had a hen with a bad injury which took months to heal well enough for her to rejoin the flock - she still has a defined limp but runs around and manages fine with the rest. We confined her to be sure she wasn’t bullied and plied her with plenty of good food and water and she just healed as best she could in her own time.
Thank you. I'm setting up a indoor pen for her right now. Hopefully she improves.

Back
Top Bottom